LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first hydro setup, i'm crossing over from lame-ass air cylinders. once i hook up a couple more wires, and wrap my lines going to the front in reflective heat shielding (they run right next to my exhaust and cat), i think i'm done.

here's the car itself...

horrible pics i know. i had to lighten them up in photoshop. maybe i'll post some decent ones later.

what do you think so far? any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Nice..ya that thing will jump. My boy has one with 3 batts and it wants to tear itself up all the time.. :biggrin: Now get rid of those rims!!!! Or get sum black 20" :cool:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
That is nice bro you will love it I got a 2000 oldsmobile alero that I just got the front done but I still need to do the back and mine I ran into some problems but it rides like a dream the ride is realy cushi or floaty I love cant wait to do the rear ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm really discouraged right now. :tears:

so i finally buttoned everything up. i to to start bleeding it tonight, it was pretty cool seeing the front end lift up for the first time and the sound of the pumps. but then i take a look at everything, and i've got three leaks in the front alone. one at the top of the cylinder where the fitting threads in (reverse flows), one at the slowdown (not the connections, but the knob itself), and one between one of the check valves and the inlet to the valve.

initially i had the slowdowns open one full turn from closed, and when i hit the front dump switch for the first time, the car FELL HARD. i backed it off to about 3/4 turn from closed and it's perfect. seems like they should be open more than that though...

i know this is my first time installing this shit, but i didn't expect THIS many leaks ALREADY.

i was so proud of myself for getting this far all by myself, but now i want to pay somebody just to finish this shit. for the past couple weeks i've been up till 4 in tha morn working on this car, when i work at 7...thought i was done, ready to bleed everything, now i have to take most of it back apart.

i AM pretty stoked that the front lifts and drops evenly. i'm happy with how low and how high it gets. i LOVE the sound of the pumps.

wish i knew somebody locally that's experienced with this shit that could come help me out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there like a sealing PASTE that works, like an epoxy, that i could spread around the fittings that leak?????

i used teflon tape pretty generously, but if there was a paste i could use now that all the fittings are threaded together, i wouldn't have to take EVERYTHING apart again...

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]@Oct 2 2006, 02:07 AM~6286247
is there like a sealing PASTE that works, like an epoxy, that i could spread around the fittings that leak?????

i used teflon tape pretty generously, but if there was a paste i could use now that all the fittings are threaded together, i wouldn't have to take EVERYTHING apart again...
dont put alot of tape on, i do little more than two wraps, no more than three, if u put alot on it will leak for shure

·
Registered
13,097 Posts

you gotta sleeve that cyl so it doesnt flop around in the strut casing / use a fence pipe or muffler pipes that fits aound the cyl and inside the strut... ;)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I use 3 1/2 turns of teflon, 4 on the block and cylinders. The slowdowns Pro Hopper sends with their kits should go straight to the garbage, switch those out with some deltrol or parker and you shouldnt have a problem with leaks.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Don't give up man. That's what building your own Lowrider is all about u will get upset,dissapointed,upset,frustrated and u will sometimes go broke. but at the end u would build your own LOLO. and when u get the leaks fixed u be the happiest Mofo in town man. Hang in there them for the leaks it all depends on what kind of teflon u using and how u wrappin it around the fitting. I use 610 mil teflon don't use the cheap kind that cost under a $1 buy the expensive kind the ticker the teflon the less wraps u got to do. 3 to 4 turns should be enough and use a vise all the time. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I have never had any problems with leaks people say to only use 2-3 wraps of teflon tape but I always do like 8-9 turns and have never had a leak with a fitting :biggrin:

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
Originally posted by Big Baller 82cutty@Oct 2 2006, 11:13 PM~6292952
I have never had any problems with leaks people say to only use 2-3 wraps of teflon tape but I always do like 8-9 turns and have never had a leak with a fitting :biggrin:
same thing here....my 3 pumps have been plumbed the same over a year now with not 1 single leak on any fittings, checks, slowdowns, or anything at all.....i used atleast 6-8 turns of tape.....and its the cheap walmart tape....

As for the problem your having with your leaks...sounds like the slowdown is bad....the cylinder problem sounds like the fitting isnt tight enough...those can be a bitch to get tight if your afriad to scratch the case up..you have to remember its going to be in the car sliding up and down so it will get scratched up regardless of how you treat it on the outside of the car......3 leaks isnt bad at all for your first setup....shit atleast your setup worked on your first try lol.....mine didnt...i didnt wire mine right.....but thats another story lol...just keep going...it looks good...really good for an import :cheesy: :cool:

·
On Bail from BANNED Camp
20,807 Posts
ya post up some lifted pics. ditch the ricer rims and get some 13's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
:cool:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
i remember my first setup i had my front slowdown in too far and as soon as i dumped it oil squirted out the knob! i just figured a heavy as crap car and the cheapest slowdown werent a good combo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the rear lower control arms were offered by Suspension Techniques back in 1998. they came as a set with the front damper forks, and lowered the ride height by 1.5 inches without affecting suspension travel. and you can adjust the rear camber with those LCAs up to 10 degrees. nowadays, they're SUPER rare.

thanks for all the positive encouragement guys, but i'm done for a while. fuck this shit, i need a break.

the "collar" ended up being what was leaking on the front cylinder. tightened and dosen't leak...still have to take apart the pump plumbing and rethread some fittings that're leaking. figured before i did that, might as well test the rear to see where the leaks are that i'll have to fix...aaand

the rear CLICKS.

thats it.

the solenoids are wired EXACTLY like the fronts, but to check i hooked up the bank of front solenoids (which i know work) to the rear...still clicks.

i removed the pump, and took the grinder to the metal on the pump mount, figured if it clicks with well-grounded solenoids, the pump must not be grounded...still clicks.

rechecked the front to make sure the two batteries i was using for now weren't dead...front still works.

you can hear the dumps opening/closing, so those are wired correctly.

after three beers, i was STILL fucking frustrated.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts