LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES I TRIED TO DO A SEARCH...the server always got a problem with it.
is a vise to hold the cylinder absolutely needed? im a weekend lowrider. and the cylinder on the right side, the side i dont 3-wheel my car on... is the one leaking. so i wanna know whos got the best o ring kit for the 16 inch gold prohopper competition cylinders.?? its suprising its the side i use the least.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I WOULD HAVE TAKE THE OLD RINGS N BACKUPS N GO TO ANY TRACKTORS PARTS SHOP N GET SOME FROM THERE IT NEEDS TO BE GOOD FOR HARD WORK OF HEAVY MACHINES SO ITLL BE GOODFOR YOU

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Originally posted by TAIB@Sep 25 2006, 11:46 AM~6240611
I WOULD HAVE TAKE THE OLD RINGS N BACKUPS N GO TO ANY TRACKTORS PARTS SHOP N GET SOME FROM THERE IT NEEDS TO BE GOOD FOR HARD WORK OF HEAVY MACHINES SO ITLL BE GOODFOR YOU
Yup!!! Or any auto store or hardware store has them for like 15 cents.. :biggrin:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
or buy a polypak and never worry about it again... hell, even a quad ring will last longer than an o ring

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
i use a material called nitrile buna-n yea it's a strange name,and the hardness of them are alot harder and hold up better than alot of these rings out,the hardness is 90 when a regular one is like 60 or 70 few licks and your already leaking

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
sounds cool but theres the diameter and thickness of the ring to get right. I'd be affraid I'd stick one too thick in there and cause problems/

how do you know what size,etc?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Sep 25 2006, 07:23 PM~6242443
sounds cool but theres the diameter and thickness of the ring to get right. I'd be affraid I'd stick one too thick in there and cause problems/

get a set of calipers, measure the bore of the cylinder, the diameter of the groove on the piston, and the height of the groove. This will give you the ID, OD, and height required for the replacement seal. The white teflon backup ring is not required for quad seals or polypaks, but can be used if necessary to obtain the correct fittament.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Sep 25 2006, 03:49 PM~6241710
or buy a polypak and never worry about it again...  hell, even a quad ring will last longer than an o ring
i'll check on it, a poly pak is actually what i was tryin to think of from my reading on here. couldnt remebmer the name, anyways where to get it?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is the actually id and od of a prohopper o ring? anybody gottem laying around to measure? i havent takin mine out yet....but wouldnt a thicker outerdiameter help prevent leaking? with a big car i guess i would need a better seal

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Sep 25 2006, 05:23 PM~6242443

i sent them a sample ring to get the correct size,also they make o ring gauge cone looking thing to find out what size you have

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I usually get mine from A B Seals and order the Viton material heavy duty and it can withstand sulphuric acid for a year so if it can handle acid I'm pretty sure it can Handle oil $1.38 per O-Ring no leaks on cylinders so far

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by SetItOff@Sep 25 2006, 04:38 PM~6242133
Standard O-Rings are shit and I dont understand why they bother using them.  Go with a high quality ring. I use PolyPaks seals.  Good for one year.
I replace all of mine yearly anyways

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i see CCE has polypacks...but will they fit the prohopper compettion? i mean are the grooves and strokes basically the same diameter?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Originally posted by adamflow1@Sep 28 2006, 03:23 PM~6265219
i see CCE has polypacks...but will they fit the prohopper compettion? i mean are the grooves and strokes basically the same diameter?
No the diameter of the piston on a prohopper is smaller. Also cce cylinders only have two o rings pro hopper has three. hope this helps

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Sep 25 2006, 06:38 PM~6242514
get a set of calipers, measure the bore of the cylinder, the diameter of the groove on the piston, and the height of the groove.  This will give you the ID, OD, and height required for the replacement seal.  The white teflon backup ring is not required for quad seals or polypaks, but can be used if necessary to obtain the correct fittament.
the original polypaks on prohopper comps got teflon backups as well.....but there is a polypak that fits perfect without needing it...dont remember the numbers on it but i know they are used on john deere tractors :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts