LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for my interior but i think i would get better answers here. i have used fiberglass/bondo before but always wrapped it. this time i am painting it. what are the steps i should use to prep it and make it super smooth. what grits, wet/dry etc?

1 more- im having a shop paint the peice, but im prepping it to save cash. the problem is i have a compressor but no gun to spray the primer. is there any type of rattle can primer that i could use? if not is there a cheap gun i could use and what kind of primer should i use with it? remember its just for interior, so im thinking that a spray primer may work, but i dont know, which is why im asking. thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
please dont use rattle can!......if u do interiors alot, go out and get a touch up gun u can use just for small areas with primer.........if u have a Harbor Freight near you.....go get the purple touch up gun..............as far as preping, ive never used fiberglass, but maybe 400 then 600?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well after fiberglass you add a coat of bodyfiller so thats what i really need to sand. i dont have a harbor freight, but do you think an autozone or pepboys would have one? about how much am i looking to spend for just a little chapie gun?

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
paint stores sell real primer in rattle cans, just dont use any crap from autozone or walmart, get it at a paint store.

·
Registered
89 Posts
U-pol makes a decent primer in a can, but if the part is big, it will take a lot of primer, and may get expensive. Preparation of the part to make the fiberglass stick to it is important, so scratch it up with some 80-grit sand paper, then apply your fiberglass. I think MiEstillo has one of his topics about this, but I have not read it. Check the links at the top of the body / paint section.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys i think i wasnt really clear on this. thanks for the primer tips. the other thing i need to know is what should i do after the class and body filler is laid to prep it for paint. its all already layed and i knocked it down with 80 then 120 grit and have a pretty rough shape, but i need to know what to do from here to prep it for paint. what grit do i finish with before primer? then after primer? wetsand? etc. . .

·
Registered
636 Posts
I usually sand the filler from 80 up to 180, then prime the shit out of it, wet sand with 220, then prime it again, and sand it with 400, then it's paint time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Finish bondo 80 grit. Then go by evercoat SLICKSAND primer and spray over 80 grit
this stuff is like liquid bondo, it hardens like a rock Fills piholes, EVERYTHING. Go to princess auto or KMS, and buy a 100$ spray gun. Its good enough for primer. I use slicksand all the time with my 120$ gun, the last 4 years, i've never had a come back or complaint. It sands very easy, block sand, 320, then 600 wet. Don't worry about runs, they harden with the primer and do not stay soft AT ALL! This stuff is flexible and will not crack, or sink in. Give it 24 hours to dry.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by caddeville@Sep 13 2006, 08:01 PM~6167975
Finish bondo 80 grit. Then go by evercoat SLICKSAND primer and spray over 80 grit
this stuff is like liquid bondo, it hardens like a rock Fills piholes, EVERYTHING. Go to princess auto or KMS, and buy a 100$ spray gun. Its good enough for primer. I use slicksand all the time with my 120$ gun, the last 4 years, i've never had a come back or complaint. It sands very easy, block sand, 320, then 600 wet. Don't worry about runs, they harden with the primer and do not stay soft AT ALL! This stuff is flexible and will not crack, or sink in. Give it 24 hours to dry.

I would recommend finishing to min. 180, slicksand will just bridge deep scratches and pinholes, and they will come back later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts