LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in using hydraulic hoses for an air setup for a 64 Imp. Looking to see the good and bad side of it, if any. If anyone has pics or references that would be great.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Check out my signature "RE" build i'm gonna run Hydro hose.Dual lines on each side of frame forward.

Can have More and Better air flow than Dot hose

Go w/ GATES fittings and hose,there fittings are the best design i've seen yet

Fittings can get expensive if you go w/ Swivel heads

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by double down@Feb 2 2010, 07:31 PM~16492610
i wouldn't use hydraulic hoses for air
Please explain???

Yeah it cost a bit more.It's not really for your average lay and play if that's what your getting at.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
imo hydraulic hose has afew advantages over DOT hose. its not as sensitive to heat,its a bit easier to route,can have tighter bends/curves without kinking,has a way higher psi rating(great for hopping),their i.d is true unlike dot(hyd 1/2" is 1/2"inner dia,dot 1/2" is 3/8"inner dia.)

but hydraulics does have its disadvantages. the main one is price,and you have to know exactly what lengths you need before you get hoses made,because you cant just pull it and cut it to lenght like dot.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Originally posted by badcayne@Feb 5 2010, 02:00 AM~16518775
imo hydraulic hose has afew advantages over DOT hose. its not as sensitive to heat,its a bit easier to route,can have tighter bends/curves without kinking,has a way higher psi rating(great for hopping),their i.d is true unlike dot(hyd 1/2" is  1/2"inner dia,dot 1/2" is 3/8"inner dia.)

but hydraulics does have its disadvantages. the main one is price,and you have to know exactly what lengths you need before you get hoses made,because you cant just pull it and cut it to lenght like dot.
I hear you on the length. But i kinda figure, all these hydro guys buy a kit for their impala and the lengths seem to be correct, but i guess the diff is the cylinders stick up into the engine compartment and for air, they need to be routed down into the bag. Regardless, i kind of wanna do hydro. I already blew a line when i was like 75 miles from home (screwed) but luckily i could do a quick fix.

anyone with a 59-60 know what lengths they used? 15ft for the fronts? I guess I could just pull my front lines out and measure them up and add a couple inches.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
This is where i'm stuck now w/ the funds is in the line.I'm running GATES everything.Got the fittings but the hose is like $6.XX a foot.

But if you go to NAPA and talk to some one that nows what the hell is going and have them look in the books.You can find other line that's rated for less PSI and about 1/2 teh price.I found some line that's rated at 400 psi and it is $3.10 a foot.Great if you never go over and want a snappy set up

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Originally posted by baggedout81@Feb 5 2010, 10:55 AM~16520604
This is where i'm stuck now w/ the funds is in the line.I'm running GATES everything.Got the fittings but the hose is like $6.XX a foot.

But if you go to NAPA and talk to some one that nows what the hell is going and have them look in the books.You can find other line that's rated for less PSI and about 1/2 teh price.I found some line that's rated at 400 psi and it is $3.10 a foot.Great if you never go over and want a snappy set up
Napa will crimp the end on the hoses too??

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by Fine59Bel@Feb 5 2010, 12:37 PM~16522032
Napa will crimp the end on the hoses too??
Yep if they carry it or can get it they will crimp it.

But if you bring is some hose of fittings lets say from catapillar they wont or if they do they probally wont warranty anything.I quess its a liability thing

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Originally posted by baggedout81@Feb 5 2010, 02:23 PM~16522467
Yep if they carry it or can get it they will crimp it.

But if you bring is some hose of fittings lets say from catapillar they wont or if they do they probally wont warranty anything.I quess its a liability thing
yah i hear ya. I dont think my local napa carrys it but i will try the parker store

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by Fine59Bel@Feb 5 2010, 01:28 PM~16522503
yah i hear ya. I dont think my local napa carrys it but i will try the parker store
Try NAPA tho for the hell of it check out there GATES brand.That's what i got,it had more barbs to crimp down on the hose than some catapillar brand crimps o looked at.

·
Registered
142 Posts
IMO I like hydro line for air, but what I would suggest is doing something like 2 lines for each front bag, one line to get you to the front and then another one to connect that to the bag. That way length isn't an issue. Then again its a waste of one line since it could be made into 1 rather than 2, but atleast it gets around the length issue.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by artsar@Feb 5 2010, 06:03 PM~16525048
IMO I like hydro line for air, but what I would suggest is doing something like 2 lines for each front bag, one line to get you to the front and then another one to connect that to the bag. That way length isn't an issue. Then again its a waste of one line since it could be made into 1 rather than 2, but atleast it gets around the length issue.
Ummm are you talking about a 2 fill 1 dump per front bag then.If so on my way already only i'm running 2 lines from back to front on each side to feed 1 side so 4 lines total from front to back all 3/4" :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Hydraulic hoses work good and do flow better than plastic lines. I can get 1/2 hydraulic lines 15 feet long for less than 60 bucks with JIC fittings and are rated at 3500 pounds working pressure. You will never hurt one of these with air.

·
Registered
387 Posts
what about usein push lock hose..its rated at 300psi..and flame resistent...and dont leak ..and very flexable..i pay $1.50 A FOOT...1/2" i.d.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Parker,Parker,Parker, the line and fittings worth using go with jic fittings. swivel fittings tend to leak over time from dry rotte due to the lack of oils. Stick with a tryed and true name Parker is #1 in the industry for a reason

1 - 20 of 24 Posts