LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After receiving all my components for the next bag project (v6 '84 Monte) & looking over them, I became afraid that my trunk is gonna explode :cheesy: :0 :( .
The setup is going to be operating at 200psi , but I noticed the tanks had a rating of 125 (says it shouldn't exceed 150)......& the SMC water traps were rated at 150. I know companies rate stuff low so there won't be as many lawsuits if people get hurt & it'll Handel more than what they say it will.

Should I wrap the tanks with chains, or if they went kaboom would that fragment little pieces all over the place like a pineapple grenade?
I'm already about to take the back seat out & weld a piece of 1/4'' steel behind it.

What I is workin with:
two 10gal air tanks
two "homemade" oasis-style comps
two viair 380's
3/4 tank fittings
1/2 DOT line, valves, & fittings
3/4 soft copper tubing connecting the tanks
1/2'' dual port slam bags

·
Registered
480 Posts
Originally posted by hearse@Oct 2 2007, 09:43 PM~8920379
ran my "150" 12 gallon tank to 250 a few times with no problem. my pop off valve went off and scared the shit out of me though :thumbsdown: (forgot my york was on)
i hate when that happens to my home compressor its going out but it makes me jump bad lol

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by nyccustomizer@Oct 2 2007, 07:17 PM~8919259
Are they DOT approved tanks?  Hoosier? firestone? what company? If they are reputable then it shouldn't be a problem.
Nope, there from harbor freight...... :uh:

The gauge goes to 200, but on the tank it reads " do not fill more than 150psi". They seem to be pretty heavy-duty, & when I drilled a hole in 'em to add another port the wall thickness looked to be as thick as 12 gauge sheet-steel. I've used them in low psi setups before(140).
Should I be worried?
Should I wrap it up?

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
I've blasted all my tanks to about 250 to 275 without problems. All have been made by Hoosier, except the Sears 5 gal. :(

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
for the price why dont you buy dot approved ones with the ports in them already?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ran mine to 450 last week for the first time, no problems. Except I didn't realize how fast the fuckin car would come up!!! Kinda crazy.

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
the real fun is at around 600

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by foey@Oct 5 2007, 06:44 AM~8937204
the real fun is at around 600
At 600 my SS will hop all 4, 200 just a little bit enough to scare people, 145-150 is perfect, I have seen those cheap china tanks (like the ones I have :biggrin: ) become round with to much pressure. When running all that its best to bypass the tanks, go straight to the valves & hope nothing goes BOOM.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Originally posted by lowlinc93@Oct 4 2007, 02:52 PM~8931287
Ran mine to 450 last week for the first time, no problems.  Except I didn't realize  how fast the fuckin car would come up!!!  Kinda crazy.
when yall say 450 - 600 is that using nirtogen??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yup, it would take any REAL compressor forever to build that kind of PSI, my oasis takes a minute to get to 200 on my truck

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've blasted all my tanks to about 250 to 275 without problems. All have been made by Hoosier, except the Sears 5 gal. 

Hoosier make all the tanks for Firestone

They are all safe sarted to 150psi but are pressure tested to 750 psi
Their burst pressure is higher

I have had Hoosier tanks in my air hopper and have run 550psi for over 35 performance with no issues

I have had Hoosier tanks in my car for over 5 years with no rust either
They paint them inside as well and then bake them in a oven

You want SAEJ10 DOT approved tanks go Hoosier or Firestone
The rest of these aluminium tanks are all Chinese and do not meet any of the standards

to be DOT they need to have the SAEJ10 stamp and the correct FMVSS code on them

This website shows what needs to be stamped on the tank to make it DOT

http://www.tubularsuspensionsystems.com/faq_tanks.htm

·
Registered
344 Posts
i run mine at 400psi most the time to get my 4.3 in the air. i use scuba

1 - 18 of 18 Posts