LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this pic in an old LRM....I'm looking for a better way to mount my pumps so it would be easier to install and uninstall and get a cleaner look. Any fabrication ideas are appreciated. Include pics if you have them.

Last edited by caliswangin916 at Nov 22 2003, 11:13 PM

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
i just drill the square tubing where i wanna mount my pumps ...

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Originally posted by caliswangin916@Nov 22 2003, 06:32 PM
I just found this pic in an old LRM....I'm looking for a better way to mount my pumps so it would be easier to install and uninstall and get a cleaner look. Any fabrication ideas are appreciated. Include pics if you have them.

i see what your saying, alot of people i know dont drill holes for the pump bolts the cut out slits, so all they do is losin up the 2 bolts and slide out/ in.no worrying about that back breaking problem with lining up the bolts to the holes to the block........

i hope you understand where i went with this

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by juggalo4life@Nov 22 2003, 09:08 PM
i see what your saying, alot of people i know dont drill holes for the pump bolts the cut out slits, so all they do is losin up the 2 bolts and slide out/ in.no worrying about that back breaking problem with lining up the bolts to the holes to the block........

i hope you understand where i went with this
I get what you're saying but my problem is getting the pumps onto my angle iron. My rack sits on a surface and I only have the 1" of room from the angle iron to work with. I have to fit my fingers in between my car and the steel to hand thread the bolts until the last few turns.

I edited my picture and the pump mount also balances the pump which is another plus.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
VELCRO, thats all I need to say. HAHA, I used some allen head bolts, that are pretty strong and have a smaller head so you have more room. Its much easier to tighten with a allen driver.

·
Registered
379 Posts
someone gave a good idea i forgot who. he said to cut some pieces of 3/8 threaded rod and screw them in the block . then just put them through the holes in your plate and put nuts and lock washers. ;) aint that a good idea?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I punched 3/8 holes in a 22" piece of 3/4 x 1 1/2 flat bar and put a bend in it at the front of the pump then welded it under my rack so it stuck out in front of the rack. The pumps sit nice and clean in front of the rack. ;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by carvr2@Nov 23 2003, 04:09 AM
someone gave a good idea i forgot who. he said to cut some pieces of 3/8 threaded rod and screw them in the block . then just put them through the holes in your plate and put nuts and lock washers. ;) aint that a good idea?
i made a tee shape out of box tubing and 1/2" flat stock, i think its much easier to get my hand under to start the nuts. i went to the hardware store and got some grade 8 studs to use instead of bolts i also put butt conectors on my dumps. i can have a pump out in a minute if i needed to. :cool:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Originally posted by dough916+Nov 23 2003, 04:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dough916 @ Nov 23 2003, 04:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--carvr2@Nov 23 2003, 04:09 AM
someone gave a good idea i forgot who. he said to cut  some pieces of 3/8 threaded rod and screw them in the block . then just put them through the holes in your plate and put nuts and lock washers. ;) aint that a good idea?
i made a tee shape out of box tubing and 1/2" flat stock, i think its much easier to get my hand under to start the nuts. i went to the hardware store and got some grade 8 studs to use instead of bolts i also put butt conectors on my dumps. i can have a pump out in a minute if i needed to. :cool:[/b][/quote]
Hey I like the idea on putting threaded studs on the bottom of the pumps and using bolts. As for what I used I just bought a piece of square metal and drilled holes in it and welded it to square tubing that goes across the trunk. Hey Caliswangin916 the place where I bought them was here in Sac. The name of it is Blue Collar Supply out on Florin Perkins Rd. They had a big ass stack of them.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Blue Collar Supply is pretty close to where I live. They have alot of goodies there.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
"You Said it".... Back Breakin, Arm Achin, Hand Scrapin work tryin to line up them 2 pain in the azz bolts..... but I always been afraid of the notch slit type cut... dont want my pumps slippin out and dentin my precious chrome tanks one day....seen the threaded rods done.... looks Ghetto ugly when left too long on the bottom... but studs work good... :biggrin:

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by tcvaldez@Nov 24 2003, 04:14 PM
Couldn't you just use a piece of all thread and trim so there is no unwanted bolt showing.

Just my .02.

Later
TC
This is what I always have done!! makes your life sooooooo much easier! ;)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm using some thick ass angle iron, but use slots instead of holes. Start the bolts into the pump head, slide the pump onto the rack using the slots, tighten bolts. Works great...

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

I had my pumps like this but then i blew a steel o ring and fried a motor

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
thank god for gear wrenches!

i always think about how hard servicing a setup will be before i build. i also drill the pump mount holes alot bigger then they need to be, so its not so hard to find!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts