LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gonna be doin my set up but want to be a little diffrent.
how many people in here have there pumps with the motor pointing down and that tank ass up? what kind of problems do you have? do the seals leek alot. i want to do this so any info would be great. i just dont want to leek oil every 2 weeks, and have to pull it all out.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
the only problem with that is filling the reservoir, or if you have pressure in the tank and you got the front up and the back down, when oil swooshes to the filler cap, it can somtimes spray a bit, use teflon to prevent this... as for seals... if they seal properly it shouldn't leak any way you orient the pumps

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Nov 20 2003, 10:32 AM
the only problem with that is filling the reservoir, or if you have pressure in the tank and you got the front up and the back down, when oil swooshes to the filler cap, it can somtimes spray a bit, use teflon to prevent this... as for seals... if they seal properly it shouldn't leak any way you orient the pumps
thanks volv_lo, i always use teflon around the plug.........and im using the all chrome kit untouched to do this

im still waiting on a price for those switch extensions ;)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Not good idea to have tank above motor. If the seal leaks through the key your motor will blow flames. lol

·
Registered
395 Posts
What about the oil pickup ... when the pumps are mounted vertically, is there ever a problem with the pickup not getting fluid?

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by lowpoke@Nov 21 2003, 12:48 AM
What about the oil pickup ... when the pumps are mounted vertically, is there ever a problem with the pickup not getting fluid?
that is why you put tank above motor, so the head always has fluid available. I installed a setup like that and the guy never had any problems

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
When the pump0s are vertical you cant fill the tank all the waythis causes a limited amount of oil in the tank if you have a fat piston in your cylider or long cyliders ther may not be enough oil in the tank to extend the cylider all the way and then you are dry running the gear. Thats the problem with the only setup ive worked on that had the pumps mounted verticaly

·
Registered
410 Posts
no problem you can mount it vertical. the seal is made to with stand more pressure than that.filling the tank is no prob, ether, just put an elbow fitting insted of the plug first then ad an extension pipe to just go over the tank.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Originally posted by lowpoke@Nov 20 2003, 10:48 PM
Not if you put an extension pipe to the bottom(end) of the tank... ;)

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Nov 20 2003, 08:22 PM
Not good idea to have tank above motor. If the seal leaks through the key your motor will blow flames. lol
That was my thought. But you could go almost vertical, kinda inclined and get the same look. But eventually your seal will leak, and you will have a small flame thrower. Actually Hydraulic oil is pretty hard to burn, but mixed with some high power amperage, you might have a nice blow out.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The pressure for oil to go thru the seal is almost no difference wether its normal or vertical. Not too mention alot of poeple air the tanks up to high psi and the seal still holds. Settin vertical is no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts