LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been lookin around a while for a V8 to drop in my 59. the 6 cylinder has got to go. i found a guy locally with a 305 from an 86 monte carlo thats still in the car. would this be a good way to go or jus look for a 350?? im not concerned with gettin a 283 or a 348, wether the engine looks original or not isnt really my concern. my concern is i get shitty gas mileage w no horsepower w the 6 cylinder, so id rather get shitty gas mileage and a lil more power. does it seem like this would fit w/o much problems?? any info helps, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,646 Posts
Why not just find a 350, you can get them cheap and it will be worth the work of putting it in. 305s are ok but not to much power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i jus happend upon this one. im turning 21 dec. 2nd and i asked my rents to get me an engine for my bday... so im tryna find sumthn b4 then. it actually dnt really matter, i could prolly wait it out till spring cuz i wouldnt put it in till then. but hes askin 250 for the engine and 150 for the tranny. he sed all the engine needs is the carb rebuilt..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,484 Posts
Originally posted by Fine59Bel@Oct 2 2007, 10:48 PM~8919951
well i jus happend upon this one. im turning 21 dec. 2nd and i asked my rents to get me an engine for my bday... so im tryna find sumthn b4 then. it actually dnt really matter, i could prolly wait it out till spring cuz i wouldnt put it in till then. but hes askin 250 for the engine and 150 for the tranny. he sed all the engine needs is the carb rebuilt..

if you're not worried about power, but just looks and sound the 305 will be fine...

IMO i would get a 350 for around the same price, then you have the souns, the look and the power!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
 

·
Chewie
Joined
·
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by 509Rider@Oct 2 2007, 09:43 PM~8919914
Why not just find a 350, you can get them cheap and it will be worth the work of putting it in. 305s are ok but not to much power.
The cam in the 305's for some reason fuck up alot.

350 is really the way to go but just my .02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alrite, i actually am leanin more towards the 350 now, i already found one for around the same price, only problem is that its like 3 hours from me
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by CapriceRoller@Oct 3 2007, 12:50 AM~8920439
The cam in the 305's for some reason fuck up alot.

350 is really the way to go but just my .02.
That was a problem only in 1977 and 1978. It was corrected by 1986. :uh:
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by impala_631@Oct 3 2007, 07:57 AM~8922099
a 305 wouldnt be the best IMO
x2...Not the BEST, but a decent engine at that. If it's a good running engine/tranny combo at a cheap price, go for it. Or hold out a little longer for something better. :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,391 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Oct 3 2007, 11:40 AM~8922959
x2...Not the BEST, but a decent engine at that.  If it's a good running engine/tranny combo at a cheap price, go for it.  Or hold out a little longer for something better. :cool:
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yah. i think im gonna jus do the 350. i found a 350 and tranny for $250. only problem is i need to take the whole car and its 3 hours from me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,484 Posts
i had a 305/700r4 combo in my old fleet, not alot of power but it was the most reliable engine i ever had


but you cant beat that 350 power,

but its all in what you want, ride low n slow and still sound good(305), or low, slow, and GO"(350)!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,129 Posts
LISTEN TO THESE GUYS BRO...YOU MIGHT AS WELL GO WITH THE 350....YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alrite, im pretty sure im goin with a 350. anyone wat engine mounts i will need and where to get them?? i also think ill need a new tranny crossmember. im goin from a straight 6 and 3 speed to a v8 with a 700r4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
350 sbc n 350 turbo hydromatic trans-who needs overdrive 350 turbos are damn near bullit proof unless there already screwed up-thought bout one myself i got a 2 speed powerglide-damn good trans just feels like it needs another gear in it-but ill keep the glide :cool:
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
700R4 is a good transmission, especially when properly rebuilt, and will deliver great mileage.
 

·
Chewie
Joined
·
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Oct 3 2007, 05:52 AM~8922092
That was a problem only in 1977 and 1978.  It was corrected by 1986.  :uh:
Well tell that to the two 87 305's I have ran into with a flat cam.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top