LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

The time has finally come to start putting bags in my baby. First step, put bags in the ass. Need some help though.

The 63 Impala has coils in the rear. Three-Link (Two lower control arms and a single upper control arm) and a sway bar.

I need a brief step-by-step overview of process involved in removing the old parts and replacing them with bags. I think I have a good idea, but want to know for sure. Also, what special tools do I need? Is it impossible for me to put the new bushings in myself? Will I need a shop to do that? If so, should I go ahead and let them remove the old ones as well?

- Brad

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
put the rear end up on jackstands pretty high. put a jack under the axle and raise it about 1 inch. Remove the lower shock nuts and pull the shocks off of the axle. lower the jack all the way, letting the axle drop until the driveshaft hits on the frame. the coils should just about fall out at that point.

drill the holes for your lines, route the lines, install the bags and brackets. this will involve raising the axle and reinstalling the shocks. lower the jack again. put about 80 PSI in the bags, then lower the car of the jack stands.

pretty straight forward, nothing real tricky.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
well I just reread your post, it seems your replacing some bushings as well. same basic steps, only you'll be removing some bolts that usually dont like being removed.
get yourself some penetrating oil and soak that shit down a few days ahead of time.

the combination trailing arm bolt/ shock mount, is a real PITA to remove, your best bet is to remove both rear wheels, and use a long piece of steel to hit with a big hammer to remove them. I use a 4' long piece of 2" square tube, usually knocks them right off.

actual bushing replacement, if you dont mind paying a shop, let them do it, it'll save some time and some headaches.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Would the steps be similar to for a 64.? :cool:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Drill a hole in a pice of 1/4"plate and cut a hole in it for a hook for a slide hammer. attach to shock bolt and give it hell. Or Use a pickle fork on an air hammer. They are not fun.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Sep 13 2005, 07:54 PM~3808192
Drill a hole in a pice of 1/4"plate  and cut a hole in it for a hook for a slide hammer.  attach to shock bolt and give it hell.  Or Use a pickle fork on an air hammer.  They are not fun.
sounds like alot of work. the hammer and bar method takes about 4 hits on each side you fucking polesmoker :)

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Sep 13 2005, 05:00 PM~3808234
sounds like alot of work. the hammer and bar method takes about 4 hits on each side you fucking polesmoker  :)

Not if the sleeve on the bushing gets rusted to the bolt, you fucking Clown sex addict!

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Sep 13 2005, 08:06 PM~3808276
Not if the sleeve on the bushing gets rusted to the bolt,  you fucking Clown sex addict!
:0

That was supposed to be our secret

1 - 17 of 17 Posts