LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Lanzar 2.4 FARAD 24V Oval Neon Capacitor thats installed in my car, but for some reason it went out? :dunno: the neon and the reading is dead this the second one. Had to change one last year cause it did the same thing anyone know why? Is it the position i have it installed in the trunk? ( hanging sideways on the trunk side) any help ...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
i personally dont suggest using capacitors...

when you think about it, for a good RELIABLE (might be your problem) capacitor at 2.4 F, your gonna be spending almost 200 dollars... when you think about what a cap does you realize that it acts as a reserve "tank" for the times when your amp wants too much from your "main tank" (battery)... if you get an everstartmaxx for about $60 at walmart, you can give your amp its OWN "primary tank"(battery) which will be more efficient and more reliable (3year gaurentee) then the wannabe (cap)... and if you havent noticed, there is about a $140 difference, between the right direction, and the not so right direction and whats funny, is that not so right direction is more expensive...

-qs

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Do you have one or two batteries hooked up to that cap? Cap's are really hard to mess up, since it doesnt have any circuit beyond the little meter and power supply for the neon stuff. Might just want to inspect it real well and see if you can notice any damage on it. Really, a cap "should" in a perfect world last for 20 or more years if its kept within its tolerances of use. Could of something got in it like water? Or oil ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are you 2 tag teaming tonight snoopdan and cuttiebuddie? :0 Keep the info going cause people are always reading and takeing notes

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Originally posted by lowsammy@Sep 14 2005, 09:21 PM~3817546
Are you 2 tag teaming tonight snoopdan and cuttiebuddie?  :0  Keep the info going cause people are always reading and takeing notes

im the one on the right :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by snoopdan@Sep 14 2005, 09:13 PM~3817471
Do you have one or two batteries hooked up to that cap?  Cap's are really hard to mess up, since it doesnt have any circuit beyond the little meter and power supply for the neon stuff.  Might just want to inspect it real well and see if you can notice any damage on it.  Really, a cap "should" in a perfect world last for 20 or more years if its kept within its tolerances of use.  Could of something got in it like water? Or oil ?
I have one battery going to it , and its installed in a dry area cant even get wet. I can tell the difference now cause the radio gets dim everytime the bass hits. I bought a bigger alternator forgot if its 100 amp or 130 amp but would like to have that little extra power. so i dont know.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Originally posted by 84BLU-ICEREGAL@Sep 15 2005, 09:06 AM~3819977
I  have one battery going to it , and its installed in a dry area cant even get wet. I can tell the difference now cause the radio gets dim everytime the bass hits. I bought a bigger alternator forgot if its 100 amp or 130 amp but would like to have that little extra power. so i dont know.

Hmm, i bet that cap is failed on one of its connection termainals to it, and its probably something stupid. I have this notion because you said it doesnt light up at all, and donest show a readout, which its acting like it just has not power to it due to a failed connection. Because, id think (and ive never owned one like yours) that the capacitor circuit and the voltage metering circuit are completely seperate and that the cap circuit doesnt have a diode inline like the meter does. Oh well, I tried to help. Maybe if I could see it in a picture up close I could help more. But its hard without having a meter in front of you to test it with.

Dont know if I can help you more man :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Sep 14 2005, 05:33 PM~3816161
i personally dont suggest using capacitors...

when you think about it, for a good RELIABLE (might be your problem) capacitor at 2.4 F, your gonna be spending almost 200 dollars
i got a 20 farad directed cap bank for $180 :biggrin: just for the cool blue lights!!!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Kool-aid@Sep 19 2005, 09:43 PM~3847073
i got a 20 farad directed cap bank for $180  :biggrin: just for the cool blue lights!!!
:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts