LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1964. it has at least three different colors on it. What are some basics on sanding and preping the car. I am new to this guys, also what materials will I need. Thanks ridazs
*just trying to keep cost as low as possible*

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few rust spots on front panels, but my main concern is sanding first. And i have a couple of dents in rear panels. But those come out after sanding right? Thanks

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
no the dents dont go away after u sand it.

is this car gonna be your daily? or show car? or hopper? or wha?

if u just wanna know about sanding, scuff the whole car with 320 then go to the body work areas sand 80 to get the rust off put some body filler, sand 80, then 120 then 320 in larger circles from the body filler... spray etchin primer spray some black spray can spray on it and block sand it with 320...any black that stays u got a low spot...fill it up wit some body filler sand again, spray the black paint, block again 320 and if theres no black left then that area is done...

now thats just BASIC... but tell me wha your usin the car for and i can tell u if u should do that or not..

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by calvin@Jul 24 2003, 12:06 PM

if u just wanna know about sanding, scuff the whole car with 320 then go to the body work areas sand 80 to get the rust off put some body filler, sand 80, then 120 then 320 in larger circles from the body filler... spray etchin primer spray some black spray can spray on it and block sand it with 320...any black that stays u got a low spot...fill it up wit some body filler sand again, spray the black paint, block again 320 and if theres no black left then that area is done...

now thats just BASIC... but tell me wha your usin the car for and i can tell u if u should do that or not..
NAH BRO-------LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAID-----IT HAS THREE DIFFERENT COLORS---so that means that it has at least the original baked on primer--the og color and has been painted twice after that----if they did it right possibly sealer and primer in between all that---------lots of layers----i would get a d.a(dual action) sander or an electric sander/ buffer and go to town w/ either 40 or 80 grit and go all the way down to bare metal----wipe it all down and then spray etching primer or a 2 part primer over the whole car----this will give you a clean slate and a good start to do all your body work and rust removal---------peace

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
well thats wha i was gonna say, if he just wanted 2 fix it fuck it...seal it and spray... but if he wants a car 2 last get new body panels strip the paint 2 metal ... if its a show car or a clean daily id do that...if its a hopper then i would just seal it and spray the paint

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by calvin@Jul 25 2003, 06:06 AM

if u just wanna know about sanding, scuff the whole car with 320 then go to the body work areas sand 80 to get the rust off put some body filler, sand 80, then 120 then 320 in larger circles from the body filler...
When you take rust off you don't need to put filler in unless there's a dent there ,, and if there is try the old hammer to gently knock it out first ,, then epoxy prime ,, and if you want to use a filler use it over the epoxy not on bare metal ..!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car will be a weekend street rider- no more, no less

·
Registered
24 Posts
im new to all this but want to learn to do things the right way. so why would you want to put the filler on the epoxy and not the bare metal.or can you get away with puting filler on metal on small dents.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The right way to do what ...???????????

To apply filler ..
The reason why you put It over epoxy is so the filler can't transfer any moisture to the metal and rust It out again ..

Or the right way to deal with a dent ..
Get your hammer and dolly and gently remove It then epoxy then block and paint ,, does the same shit with no filler ,, ..

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by sabre+Jul 24 2003, 07:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sabre @ Jul 24 2003, 07:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--calvin@Jul 25 2003, 06:06 AM

if u just wanna know about sanding, scuff the whole car with 320 then go to the body work areas sand 80 to get the rust off put some body filler, sand 80, then 120 then 320 in larger circles from the body filler...
When you take rust off you don't need to put filler in unless there's a dent there ,, and if there is try the old hammer to gently knock it out first ,, then epoxy prime ,, and if you want to use a filler use it over the epoxy not on bare metal ..!![/b][/quote]
if the metal has rust----i mean real rust not just surface then the metal will be damaged to the point where it will have to be either grinded down which will created a low spot or it will have to be cut out and patched---either way you will have to apply body filler to get it perfect---now i don't know about you--but i always apply body filler over "BARE METAL"...that is the best way to insure that you have proper "bite" to the metal-----if you don't prep the metal correctly and spray the primer and then put the filler over it it will just come right off when the primer separates-----i never put body filler over primer unless you are talking about a two part spot putty like "evercoat"--------------and in addition any time you shrink metal or use a hammer and dolly no matter you careful you are you are going to put some imperfection in the metal---you will still have to use a light coat of filler to get it right-----but then again i work on show cars!!!!!!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
For a start I said epoxy which is the best metal primer out there which will stick to metal better than any filler ,, and the filler actually sticks better to epoxy and will also feather edge much easier over the epoxy,, and you will never have a problem with moisture transfer ,, anyone that knows top bodywork will apply like this for a timeless job ..
for a second I've never seen someone create such a low spot just from removing rust even bad rust or welded patches that can't be fixed with primer, high fill or spray polyester after being panel beated and shaped ..
I would never Use more than a glazzing putty on a show car ..

Last edited by sabre at Jul 26 2003, 11:54 PM

·
Registered
98 Posts
whats up,on my car when sanding we used paint stirring sticks layed flat with paper wrapped.we sanded the stock paint,then we guide coated it sanded again,then once more then sealed and sprayed candy.all hand work no air.alot of work but it is very flat.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
the way i was taught and shit even behind the can of filler says sand it with 80 to get the rust off then apply filler sand again wit 80 then higher grits and then put your primer and so on... so im not sure but thats how i do it and ive be taught 2 do it... :confused:

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by sabre@Jul 26 2003, 02:51 AM
For a start I said epoxy which is the best metal primer out there which will stick to metal better than any filler ,, and the filler actually sticks better to epoxy and will also feather edge much easier over the epoxy,, and you will never have a problem with moisture transfer ,, anyone that knows top bodywork will apply like this for a timeless job ..
for a second I've never seen someone create such a low spot just from removing rust even bad rust or welded patches that can't be fixed with primer, high fill or spray polyester after being panel beated and shaped ..
I would never Use more than a glazzing putty on a show car ..
i don't know what kind of cars you work on in australia----but believe me here in california(one of the best states to find non-rusted cars) i have seen some rust that would be impossible to fix or grind out w/out leaving a low spot-----------once you have rust on any metal---the metal will suffer some damage----it's like getting a piece of wood that has termites--you can kill them all but the wood still will have some kind of affect to it----and like i said i am not talking about "surface rust" which is just that on the surface which can be easily removed w/ a sander and then prepped and primered---------now i personally prefer "polyester" primer which also has a catalyst---------of course i would use two part putty over this but i would never use filler over this or over epoxy---but that is my personal method---and the method of most of the high profile "lowrider" custom painters that i know -----so the way i look at it is this---if it has worked for me and alot of other painters this long----why change it if it isn't broken.......................peace

·
Registered
949 Posts
well until you try how do you know ..?????????????????????????????
nowadays for a timeless repair and for better adhesion slowly people are shifting to the epoxy way ,, maybee it just hasn't reached you yet ,, I know Its used all over europe ,,
Metal is only so thick if worked properly will need no filler no matter how much rust is or has been there and If your doin a show car and the rust was that bad wouldn't you just get a fresh panel ,, I would ,, unless It is rare which then I would fix with a hammer ,, epoxy and spray polyester which is much more even application and gives plenty of build to knock out any inperfections ..
alot of the time filler causes more problems than not ..

Last edited by sabre at Jul 29 2003, 10:32 AM

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by sabre@Jul 28 2003, 04:16 PM
well until you try how do you know ..?????????????????????????????
nowadays for a timeless repair and for better adhesion slowly people are shifting to the epoxy way ,, maybee it just hasn't reached you yet ,, I know Its used all over europe ,,
Metal is only so thick if worked properly will need no filler no matter how much rust is or has been there and If your doin a show car and the rust was that bad wouldn't you just get a fresh panel ,, I would ,, unless It is rare which then I would fix with a hammer ,, epoxy and spray polyester which is much more even application and gives plenty of build to knock out any inperfections ..
alot of the time filler causes more problems than not ..
you have your experiences and i have mine----obviously we differ on opinion on this and we always will-----------so be it!!! i still have not seen anything that you have painted----post up some pics---and not that stamped metal thing---again what kind of cars do you work on?????? peace

1 - 20 of 32 Posts