LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 6 brand new batts sitting in my shed. im not gettin juice installed until it gets warmer.(live in Ohio) well are they going to be dead when i get my dros on from sitting in the cold all winter?????? if so , how will i know how much to charge them??? is it very bad to over charge a battery????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,473 Posts
Hook them all up in parallel and let charge them every once in a while. Maybe for a few days. A battery loses about 1% of its charge a day when not being used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you overcharge or no such thing???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,445 Posts
get a charger that has an automatic chut-off...it takes a group 31 Deep cycle battery 16 hours to fully charge from dead nothing to full charge...and that's one battery...I've never overcharged a battery, and I've only ever heard of ONE guy blowing a battery up.

But keep them off the concrete though - put them on wood or something. Concrete discharges them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,377 Posts
Originally posted by allcoupedup@Nov 23 2003, 10:45 PM
Hook them all up in parallel and let charge them every once in a while. Maybe for a few days. A battery loses about 1% of its charge a day when not being used.
charge them for a few days, um no i wouldnt do that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by BG PMPN@Nov 24 2003, 12:59 AM
get a charger that has an automatic chut-off...it takes a group 31 Deep cycle battery 16 hours to fully charge from dead nothing to full charge...and that's one battery...I've never overcharged a battery, and I've only ever heard of ONE guy blowing a battery up.

But keep them off the concrete though - put them on wood or something. Concrete discharges them
takes 16 hours at what amperage and voltage????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,377 Posts
buy a 72 volt charger you dont want to have to charge them with a 12 volt thats a pain in the ass... they usually come in 5/10 amps and it should take a few hours to charge them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by BG PMPN@Nov 23 2003, 08:59 PM
But keep them off the concrete though - put them on wood or something. Concrete discharges them
that was true decades ago, but not with todays batteries :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,780 Posts
Originally posted by HiLow@Nov 23 2003, 10:30 PM
buy a 72 volt charger you dont want to have to charge them with a 12 volt thats a pain in the ass... they usually come in 5/10 amps and it should take a few hours to charge them
YEP

and yes batts do BLOW UP, my dad was borrowing my regal, had the switches hooked up, and came home, pushed the seats up against the switches and the batt blew before the solenoids, or the motor ;)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top