LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY SO WHEN I PRESS ON THE GAS THE CAR MAKES THIS KNOCKING NOISE UNTILL I LET GO OF THE PEDAL OR IT SLOWS TO A CERTAIN SPEED WONDERING WAT THIS COULD BE ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
if it is a hard sounding nocking noise it's probally rod bearings , if it is a ticking sound then it sounds like lifters or the rockers either way it's time for a rebuild .... Oh how the oil pressure ???

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it's the lifters u will here a clicking noise at idle and that can be adjusted, but like CAPRICE2LOW said if it's a hard knock when you accelarate it's going to be a rod that's knocking. Could be one other thing, but very unlikly. If it's like a pinging noise when u accelarate, but only when u accelarate it could be your timming.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ITS A HARD KNOCKING SOUND AND BY REBUILD YOU MEAN THE WHOLE ENGINE

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
COULDNT I JUST FIX THE ROD BEARINGS AND HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT DOING THAT IS THERE A SITE WERE I COLD FIND OUT HOW TO DO IT MYSELF

·
Registered
599 Posts
if its knocking when you press the gas only thats timing. Too much advance on the distributor. Need to retard it some

·
Registered
88 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Dec 24 2008, 12:18 PM~12517472
ITS A HARD KNOCKING SOUND AND BY REBUILD YOU MEAN THE WHOLE ENGINE
It's probably cheaper to rebuild the whole engine due to the cost of labor unless your going to replace the rods yourself, but even then you'll save yourself alot of headaches by having it rebuilt. The cost to have the engine rebuilt is about 600 dollars. Thats doing it yourself, but I don't know the prices where u live at

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Start with the easiest first, a loose flywheel to torque converter bolts will make a similar noise.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinking bout getting a rebuilt im take t to a mechanic so he can find out wat it is b4 i start taking stuff apart but if it is the bearings im just gonna get a rebuilt cuz the shop wants 350 to do it and i can just get a rebuilt for 500 with core around here

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Dec 24 2008, 05:04 PM~12519952
i was thinking bout getting a rebuilt im take t to a mechanic so he can find out wat it is b4 i start taking stuff apart but if it is the bearings im just gonna get a rebuilt cuz the shop wants 350 to do it and i can just get a rebuilt for 500 with core around her
Yes, if its the bearings, get a full rebuild.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Ragtop Ted@Dec 24 2008, 06:51 PM~12520321
Yes, if its the bearings, get a full rebuild.
think im gonna just get a rebuild anyway i hate the one thing after another process waste way more money that way went through that too many times with the last car i think from now on every car i buy in the future im gonna save enough to throw a rebuilt in the from the beginning

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
TRY AN OCTANE BOOSTER WITH A HIGH OCTANE GAS

UR HEARING THE KNOCK FROM IT NOT BURNING PROPERLY

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got any recomendations

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
89 camaro rs V8 305 5.0 throttle body

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
ITS PROLLY PINGING

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hopefully i got the stp fuel system cleaner car wasnt started for a long time from the guy i bought it from im gonna get a diag and tune up and see wats wrong for sure still gotta save for the rebuilt but untill then gonna keep it drivable

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
rod knock is usually most apparent under load. (accelerating and engine braking)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Originally posted by kandylac@Dec 24 2008, 06:29 PM~12519702
Start with the easiest first, a loose flywheel to torque converter bolts will make a similar noise.
x2 i thought i was gonna have to rebuild one of my old montes turned out to be be loose bolts in the flywheel/torque converter :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts