LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to replace both ball joints, inner tie rod end left side, idler arm at home with out a lift but on jack stands how much trouble would that be ??? thanks ahead of time

·
16,068 Posts
Yeah it's possible to do that in a driveway/garage. Idler arm and tie rods are easy enough to do. For the balljoint, if it's pressed in, then just take the arm to a shop to have the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in. Some are just bolted in, depends on the car. I just did a full front suspension on a full sized Chevy truck this past week in my driveway. Inner & outter tie rods, adjusting sleeves, centerlink, idler arm, pitman arm, shocks, sway bar end links, and an upper balljoint. Took about 3 hours from start to finish. Don't forget to have an alignment done after replacing suspension parts.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Dec 4 2008, 02:24 PM~12334463
Yeah it's possible to do that in a driveway/garage.  Idler arm and tie rods are easy enough to do.  For the balljoint, if it's pressed in, then just take the arm to a shop to have the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in. Some are just bolted in, depends on the car.  I just did a full front suspension on a full sized Chevy truck this past week in my driveway.  Inner & outter tie rods, adjusting sleeves, centerlink, idler arm, pitman arm, shocks, sway bar end links, and an upper balljoint.  Took about 3 hours from start to finish.  Don't forget to have an alignment done after replacing suspension parts.
x2 ;)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 89 camero
and to be exact i need
1. idler arm
2. both lower ball joints
3. inner tie rod left side
4. center link
shop want to charge me bout 1800 thats why i need to do this myself and 3 hours seems damn good for me i could do it asap

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so can some one please give me a how to step by step if thats not too much to ask or at least point me in the right direction
jonny562 thanks for the link

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Dec 4 2008, 04:38 PM~12337067
its a 89 camero
and to be exact i need
1. idler arm
4. center link
shop want to charge me bout 1800 thats why i need to do this myself and 3 hours seems damn good for me i could do it asap

$1800 is crazy for that. For what i did on the truck i charged $450 ($300 parts, $150 labor). Just needs an alignment for about $80

Get a repair manual for your car, it'll have a step by step with pics. For the lower ball joints, you'll have to remove the springs first and take them to a shop to have them pressed out of the arms.

The idler arm is only held on by 2 bolts/nuts to the body and 1 nut that holds it to the centerlink. For the inner tie rod, i would just replace the inners & outters along with the tie rod adjusting sleeves for both sides. That way, you'll just put together the inner and outter tie rod for each side by using the adjusting sleeve, then connect them to the center link and replace it all as one unit. Count the theads that are showing on the tie rods now and use that as a base of how much to thead them into the sleeves. Once you get the new center link bolted back on the car(whole front end jacked up), then you can just push the outter tie rod ends up into the spindles to see if the wheels are pointing towards or away from each other and the tie rods have to be adjusted. Once you get the wheels pretty straight, put the nut on each outter tie rod end and tighten them up. For all parts i mentioned it should be about $200-$250 + whatever it costs to have the balljoints pressed in and out and you'll have a pretty much fully rebuilt front end. Then get an alignment done.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Dec 4 2008, 06:38 PM~12337067
its a 89 camero
and to be exact i need
1. idler arm
4. center link
:twak: :twak: :twak: 1800 hell no you must be crazy. them parts must be made of gold. if you don't feel like doing it just get a few estimates it's not that much. and don't go cheap i always use moog parts that's it. never ever china parts :nono: :nono: :nono:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn those fools were gonna jack me HARD !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
You can replace lower pressed in ball joints with a BFH, a piece of 2 1/2" tube and a jack stand, But if the arms are plated, take the arms off and get them pressed in.

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by kandylac@Dec 4 2008, 11:52 PM~12341454
You can replace lower pressed in ball joints with a BFH, a piece of 2 1/2" tube and a jack stand, But if the arms are plated, take the arms off and get them pressed in.
True, it can be a pain in the ass to do that way though and it's so much easier with a press.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ttt so i can find this when i need it in about a week gonna try and get this done when i put in a new steering column

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Dec 4 2008, 03:41 PM~12337695
$1800 is crazy for that.  For what i did on the truck i charged $450 ($300 parts, $150 labor).  Just needs an alignment for about $80

Get a repair manual for your car, it'll have a step by step with pics.  For the lower ball joints, you'll have to remove the springs first and take them to a shop to have them pressed out of the arms.

The idler arm is only held on by 2 bolts/nuts to the body and 1 nut that holds it to the centerlink.  For the inner tie rod, i would just replace the inners & outters along with the tie rod adjusting sleeves for both sides. That way, you'll just put together the inner and outter tie rod for each side by using the adjusting sleeve, then connect them to the center link and replace it all as one unit.  Count the theads that are showing on the tie rods now and use that as a base of how much to thead them into the sleeves.  Once you get the new center link bolted back on the car(whole front end jacked up), then you can just push the outter tie rod ends up into the spindles to see if the wheels are pointing towards or away from each other and the tie rods have to be adjusted.  Once you get the wheels pretty straight, put the nut on each outter tie rod end and tighten them up.  For all parts i mentioned it should be about $200-$250 + whatever it costs to have the balljoints pressed in and out and you'll have a pretty much fully rebuilt front end.  Then get an alignment done.
Good advice. :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts