LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use poly primer on bare metal?? or should i just sand the car enough for the poly to stick to the surface and spot prime with epoxy on bare metal??

or should i take the whole thing to bare metal and epoxy the whole car??? then poly it after that???

also how many coats should i put on of poly and of epoxy

Right now I have a HVLP spray gun.... and a gallon of poly primer and hardener

i am not painting this car i just want to take it down and prevent rust so i can store this car it wont be painted for another year atleast

need a few suggestions

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
sealing up your bare metal with an epoxy etch or bare metal primer is never a bad thing. you can do your bondo work right on top of it. just rough it up with some coarse paper. obviously you better off spotting in the trouble areas with bondo first before you spray polyester . but have a look at all your body panels and access whether you need to use poly or not, no sense polying the whole car if its not necessary your just making more work for yourself. anywhere you need to use large bondo repairs, it cant hurt to poly them and block them out get your repairs straighter. as far as how many coats you need to use of each... normally ill use the epoxy as and adhesion coat. you can even wet on wet with it. bare metal the panel, do your bondo, use the epoxy (one or 2 thin coats) to cover your bare metal then right over it with your high build polyester spray filler. how many coats of poly you want is all up to what kind of a build you need. normally 1 poly coat is equivalent to like 3 or 4 coats of a high build 2k primer. so you can put like 3 coats of poly maybe 4 if you think you need it then block it back with some coarse paper like 60-80 grit. finish it with 120 or 180 than get it ready for your 2k primer. can you poly over bare metal? i never have, but read the tech data on it and find out, every product and manufacturer is different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts