LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i got everything finally buttoned up with the engine work i had to do..

Now its time for final distributor timing tuning..

Alright, upon inspection of the timing chain, i noticed the right side (side NOT of tensioner) was very loose. Looked to have about half inch or inch of slack..

Is this normal? Or am i gonna have to replace the timing chain soon? If so, imma be pissed..

Now that im ready to tune it, i was wondering since i have that slack in the timing chain will it yeild different results than normal using a timing light?

My v6 needs a 15 degree timing adjustment
I marked my balancer and timing degree indicator and used a timing light to take note.

The mark was waaayy past the 20 degree mark about a couple of inches, though the car is running fine with no ping, alright maybe a very slight ping here and there.

As soon as i can get someone to help me, i'll make another adjustment..
I was just wondering since the timing chain being loose like that, will cause weird unprecise results.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by SolidGoldCaddy@Aug 15 2005, 01:38 PM~3626072
sounds right, back it off a bit, why didnt you just changed the timing chain? they are cheap.
most chains have three positions you can put em on in. 4* retarded, tdc and 4* advanced. i think he mightve advanced it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it was advanced too much, i retarded it and got it running at stock 15 degree.

runs very good, smooth and silent.
Has better pickup too, hopefully will yeild better esults on gas mileage.

everything is cool and running now, thanks guys!!

EDIT: yea, i didnt think of it at the time, i shoulda changed the chain but i skipped out on it.. if it starts fuckin up or timing goes off, or chain breaks then i know how to tear it down again easier... etc..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts