LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i was wondering what is involved to put a bigger radiator in a buick regal V6.... it is a 1986
the engine is running way too hot and i think a bigger radiator would help if i can fit it in my stock location
any help would be greatly appreciated
hit me back with any info
peace

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I just put a "universal" style aluminum radiator from Summit in the 64..

I just fabbed up some mounts real quick from 1.8" steel, welded them to the core support, added a gusset for strength... little rubber strips for insulation from rubbing, and added a little top support, it was pretty cheap and easy..

if you want some pics, let me know..

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i'd upgrade the thermostat and to a high flow water pump before radiator install..

do a cooling flush too.. could help alot.

i hate it cuz i wanna upgrade fully, my cooling system..
cuz my regal is super hot.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
sometimes its hard to tell...

run the car for awhile, pop the hood, and look at the hose, see if it feels soft... rev the car up and see if it collapses...

it might not do it at idle...

just something else to check..

have you changed the fluid lately, or had the rad. flow tested??

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i recently flushed and filled the radiator ( about a month ago )
the reason why i did it in the first place was because of this problem
obviously the problem was not the coolant condition or a clogged radiator.....lol
the collapsed hose seems like it may be it
it only overheats real bad after i take a longer ride
i cruised downtown chicago for like 2 hours and it didn't overheat
then we drove on the highway for like 15 minutes and when i shut it off it boiled over

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
MY STS DID THE SAME THING , TRY CHANGING THE THERMOSTAT TO A 160 . ALSO MAKE SURE THE FAN WORKS

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
ya, you need a thermostat really...

without the thermostat acting as a restriction, the water doesnt stay in the radiator long enough to transfer any heat out.

you could try a lower temp stat, but once the water in the radiator becomes hotter than the setting on the stat, it's pointless. I've rarely seen a lower temp stat cure any problems..

Are you using the stock shroud??

How far from the radiator is the fan?? You can get spacers to move the fan closer to the radiator...

you say it's running hot, but do you know what the actual temp is??

does the fan have a clutch on it, or is it direct driven?

to add a seperate trans cooler, just buy a complete kit. Its very easy, to do it the ghetto way, just cut the lines about 1 inch from the radiator, and crimp the 1" long stubs shut with pliers... the other end of the lines, you just slip the supplied hoses over them and tighten down the clamps... very simple to do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts