LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was spraying my first coat of candy today and ran it trying to spray in a window jam. It started from there and got worse. It end up running about four inches across and a inche down the side. I called the rep which is a painter and he advised me to stop there and let it dry and wet sand the run out then wet sand the candy and start back over with candy. When I sanded the run I went down to the primer. I really don't know what to do now. I thought about mixing some base up and brushing it on, then proceeding to the candy. Anyone got any suggestions?? I really could use them. I feel like it will coast me in whatr I was going to make off it before its over. Its a friends truck and he knows its my first candy job on a vehicle but I realy need to make it work out.

Oh by the way it was xotic candy

Last edited by 64 at Nov 12 2003, 07:08 AM

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
GOOD LUCK I KNOW ALOT OF REPUTABLE SHOPS THAT NEED ALOT OF PERSUASION($$$$$) TO SHOOT CANDY'S

Last edited by PROJECT6DEUCE at Nov 10 2003, 03:55 PM

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
yes if you run the candy you will need to sand it all the way to the base and rebase the car or you will have light and dark spots. never brush a base you will see it really clear throught the candy. that is why i usually base then clear, then wetsand then candy and clear again this way you dont have to go respray the base

·
Registered
138 Posts
DAMNNNN!!!!!! Start over homie. You'll just make it worse if you try to fix or cover it up and you'll only frustrate yourself. It isn't the end of the world, shit I fucked up plenty before I got it right
;)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Yeah, start over. Atleast it was the first coat.

Next time, turn your fluid nozzle way down and pull back a little when you get in spots like the jambs. It sounds like you don't have your gun restricted enough. Close your feed all the way to where you can't pull the trigger. Then turn it out just to where you can get the paint to come out. Do this for the first few coats, then you can open it up a little on the last coats.

Last edited by locomaz at Nov 10 2003, 03:19 PM

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Nov 10 2003, 03:22 PM
you could also try to use an airbrush and dust in some base in that area that you went to the primer..........

then TRY to match the surrounding candy..........

if you want..........be careful though.......

good luck..........
Extremely hard though for someone who has never done candy before. :)

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by locomaz@Nov 10 2003, 05:15 PM

Next time, turn your fluid nozzle way down and pull back a little when you get in spots like the jambs. It sounds like you don't have your gun restricted enough. Close your feed all the way to where you can't pull the trigger. Then turn it out just to where you can get the paint to come out. Do this for the first few coats, then you can open it up a little on the last coats.
what do you mean by restricted. I pulled the trigger all the way back then turned it untill it pushed the trigger up, is that what you mean? would that be the feed nozzel?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if I start over do I have to sand all the candy off or just wet sand it, then shoot more base over that?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by locomaz@Nov 10 2003, 03:15 PM

This is great advice. I've found that Kandy Shoots very wet with my Gun therefore you Have to ease off on the fluid flow. Don't give up, there are seldom any that get it right the first time. Body shops Fuck up all the time , they just don't tell you about it! :biggrin:

And the weather has alot to do with it to. If it's too cold I wouldn't even attempt it.

Last edited by impala67 at Nov 10 2003, 04:11 PM

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 64@Nov 10 2003, 06:07 PM
if I start over do I have to sand all the candy off or just wet sand it, then shoot more base over that?
any suggestion on this???

I tried to keep teh shop above 70 but during the candy I had to open the door because it got foggy.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
don't get discouraged bro------sand it down and start over---we all made mistakes when we started to paint and we still do---it happens bro----just take a deep breath and wet sand it out and start fresh----best thing to do-----listen to what some of the guys have posted already about how to spray those areas-----------good luck bro

"richee"

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
should I just wet sand the candy and re base it or do I have to taker the candy completly off?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by 64@Nov 10 2003, 03:32 PM
should I just wet sand the candy and re base it or do I have to taker the candy completly off?
it's best if you take as much of the candy off as possible and then re-base over that---i'm just guessing that we are talking about a straight candy right ---no flake--

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 10 2003, 06:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 10 2003, 06:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--64@Nov 10 2003, 03:32 PM
it's best if you take as much of the candy off as possible and then re-base over that---i'm just guessing that we are talking about a straight candy right ---no flake--[/b][/quote]
No flakes yet.. It was my first coat also, it is very light everywhere except for where I ran it. you can still see the gold base in it.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by 64+Nov 10 2003, 03:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (64 @ Nov 10 2003, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2003, 06:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--64
@Nov 10 2003, 03:32 PM

it's best if you take as much of the candy off as possible and then re-base over that---i'm just guessing that we are talking about a straight candy right ---no flake--
No flakes yet.. It was my first coat also, it is very light everywhere except for where I ran it. you can still see the gold base in it.[/b][/quote]
ummmm.......sand it all down bro-----and re-base it--now this might be a blessing in disguise-----ummm........the flakes go over the base before the candy bro--------- :uh:

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So all the blue candy needs to come off?? I flaked the bike with the same paint and I put it in the first two coats of clear then cleared over it and it looked good. The base is a gold metalic with little flakes in it, it seems because when I sprayed it little flakes where everywhere.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by 64@Nov 10 2003, 04:19 PM
So all the blue candy needs to come off?? I flaked the bike with the same paint and I put it in the first two coats of clear then cleared over it and it looked good. The base is a gold metalic with little flakes in it, it seems because when I sprayed it little flakes where everywhere.
ya bro---all the blue has to come off----even if you are going to re-base the car you will end up w/ some un-even areas---better to take it all off and re-base the car--------well as far as the flakes go ---do what you like bro--but best to do a flaked base and then your candy and clear-----good luck

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 10 2003, 07:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 10 2003, 07:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--64@Nov 10 2003, 04:19 PM
So all the blue candy needs to come off??  I flaked the bike with the same paint and I put it in the first two coats of clear then cleared over it and it looked good. The base is a gold metalic with little flakes in it, it seems because when I sprayed it little flakes where everywhere.
ya bro---all the blue has to come off----even if you are going to re-base the car you will end up w/ some un-even areas---better to take it all off and re-base the car--------well as far as the flakes go ---do what you like bro--but best to do a flaked base and then your candy and clear-----good luck[/b][/quote]
Thank you and everyone else that responded. I hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts