LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo rate these subs from the top(best) to bottom(worst), i think theyre in good order but im not sure thats y im askin.
and if u guys ever get tired of my constant sub topics, just tell me.

15'' XXX
15'' brahma
18'' Juggernaut <---yes 18''
15'' DD 9915
18'' Cerwin vega stroker <---18'' again
15'' kicker L7
15'' power hx2

any thing i missed too!

·
Registered
304 Posts
What are we rating them by? Sound Quality, Sound Pressure Level, Build Quality, Color, Shape, Size, Smell?

I'd bump that DD to the top if were talking about SPL, and then leave the rest alone.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by beatbox@Aug 26 2003, 05:37 AM
What are we rating them by? Sound Quality, Sound Pressure Level, Build Quality, Color, Shape, Size, Smell?

I'd bump that DD to the top if were talking about SPL, and then leave the rest alone.
i heard the dd could do sq too :)

i wish i knew what a brahma smells like :(

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
This list is a little hard to judge on considering that we have SQ class subs vs. SPL Dedicated subs. . If i had to give my opinion of each sub though. . .it would go in this order

First off i would take a Team Smoke 18" over any of these subs. . .

DD9515 - Sub can take torture and it sounds great all the way around. Can easily produce high numbers of SPL and can be used in SQ applications as well. I would rather have a Treo CSX then this sub though

MMATS Juggy - My personal favorite SPL sub. I used to own 4 15's and it would give me a headache to sit in the car and turn these beasts up. . . Alot of people dont know that the Bostwick DCL can put up just as high of numbers at the Juggies can.

15'' Brahma - For the price you pay, you get a very reliable sub, it has a very high Xmax can can handle the cone travel without any loss of SQ, has a flatter BL curve then that overpriced peice of shit W7, and sounds good in small or large enclosures. Definately a bad ass bang for buck sub.

15'' XXX - I see this sub pretty much equal to the Brahma. Uses the same technology. Tends to be a little Boomier then the Brahma, but the Brahma has slightly more SQ. If these two subs were the same price, i would take a XXX over a brahma anyday.

18'' Cerwin vega stroker <---18'' again - Still a top class competitors sub. Sounds like ass IMO, but has the ability to put up high numbers. . . they are just designed off old technology

15'' kicker L7 - Gets reasonably loud in small enclosure. . . not a kicker fan though. . .i would never but one. If someone gave me one. . . i would sell it and buy a real sub

15'' power hx2 - Not a RF fan either. These subs get loud but sound like ass. . build quality for RF has went downhill and i just dont trust the company anymore.

Other Subs that deserve mention. . .

Elemental Designs A Series
Bostwick DCL
OZ Audio Matrix Power Series
Shocker Audio
Treo
Magnum Audio
Onyx Audio
Blueprint (out of buisness :( )
Sound Stream Exact, SPL 160 or Mule (i love these old school Subs)
Image Dynamics ID Max

·
Registered
584 Posts
The DD 9915 is the 9515's older brother. You won't really notice a difference between the two until you reach 5,000 - 6,000 watts (that's when you see the advantage of the 9915). The 9915 and 9515 use the same 300oz motor (since it is DD's most superior motor).

The Treo CSX doesn't really allow for good venting and cooling (they can be used for a daily driver...but I wouldn't recommend it). But they can take an un-godly amount of power (for burps) and barely get warm.

The Cerwin Vega Strokers were notorious in the lanes back in the day. They basically dominated SPL before new subwoofers (with newer technology came out). They can still hold their own even though the sub' technology is very old. In a SQ application, Strokers have been known to perform quite well (despite it's very-low measured XMAX: around 11mm).

For Rockford Fosgate, the only subwoofers I would touch would be the Team RF subwoofers (which are unavailable to the public).

The Brahma is an excellent choice for daily-driving although it will hold it's own for SPL (Scottie Johnson's Astro utilizes 15" Brahmas). DeAdPhLow is right about the XMAX. The suspension allows the subwoofer to play a huge variety of frequencies without distortion. I used to have two 12's in a Camry and they really pounded.

Ditto on DeAdPhLow's comments about the Resonant Engineering XXX.

The MMATS Juggernauts are power-hungry SPL bastards that are known for their performance in the lanes as well as SPL "Death Matches."

I personally hate Kicker.

For SPL...you should also check out the Elemental Designs Q. :biggrin:

Last edited by ls123 at Aug 26 2003, 06:46 PM

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
DeAdPhLow - do you ever go to sound domain forums?

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by DeAdPhLow@Aug 26 2003, 03:31 PM
This list is a little hard to judge on considering that we have SQ class subs vs. SPL Dedicated subs. . If i had to give my opinion of each sub though. . .it would go in this order

First off i would take a Team Smoke 18" over any of these subs. . .

DD9515 - Sub can take torture and it sounds great all the way around. Can easily produce high numbers of SPL and can be used in SQ applications as well. I would rather have a Treo CSX then this sub though

MMATS Juggy - My personal favorite SPL sub. I used to own 4 15's and it would give me a headache to sit in the car and turn these beasts up. . . Alot of people dont know that the Bostwick DCL can put up just as high of numbers at the Juggies can.

15'' Brahma - For the price you pay, you get a very reliable sub, it has a very high Xmax can can handle the cone travel without any loss of SQ, has a flatter BL curve then that overpriced peice of shit W7, and sounds good in small or large enclosures. Definately a bad ass bang for buck sub.

15'' XXX - I see this sub pretty much equal to the Brahma. Uses the same technology. Tends to be a little Boomier then the Brahma, but the Brahma has slightly more SQ. If these two subs were the same price, i would take a XXX over a brahma anyday.

18'' Cerwin vega stroker <---18'' again - Still a top class competitors sub. Sounds like ass IMO, but has the ability to put up high numbers. . . they are just designed off old technology

15'' kicker L7 - Gets reasonably loud in small enclosure. . . not a kicker fan though. . .i would never but one. If someone gave me one. . . i would sell it and buy a real sub

15'' power hx2 - Not a RF fan either. These subs get loud but sound like ass. . build quality for RF has went downhill and i just dont trust the company anymore.

Other Subs that deserve mention. . .

Elemental Designs A Series
Bostwick DCL
OZ Audio Matrix Power Series
Shocker Audio
Treo
Magnum Audio
Onyx Audio
Blueprint (out of buisness :( )
Sound Stream Exact, SPL 160 or Mule (i love these old school Subs)
Image Dynamics ID Max
I thnk you summed up everything nicely dead, but I would toss the Bostwick scrap in the garbage. I like the L7 though. Alot of folks aren't keen on them, but I have seen there damage. I personnally like the CADENCE Beast to.

G

·
0 Posts
i would like to add the lightning audio storm and yea, the Rockford Team RF is nice. :biggrin:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by GSteg@Aug 26 2003, 11:36 PM
i would like to add the lightning audio storm and yea, the Rockford Team RF is nice. :biggrin:
LA, no way can Lightning Audio or Rockford compete with any of these subs. The technology that are apart of these subs, are not being used by these two companies

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Aug 26 2003, 10:42 PM

LA, no way can Lightning Audio or Rockford compete with any of these subs. The technology that are apart of these subs, are not being used by these two companies
why not? my friend got 156db or so with his 2 15" LA storms :)

G

·
0 Posts
nevermind that 156db.
its actually:

141.2 on the headrest at 20Hz
154.4 on the headrest at 43Hz
and it will do consistant 157's in the kickpanel meca style

G

·
0 Posts
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?p=304087

and yes, that is a wall made out of plexiglass.

he holds records too:
virginia state mr3 season before last and mr4 last season
nspl consumer 0-30" state
and 31-60" state

ben milne, david from RE, Loyd Lowry (well known competitor), Nick Lemons, and others will vouch for him. just ask them who Nick Morgan is and if he's legit.

by the way, the power HX2 and the Storm are both SGLC designs i believe. some design there. with the Storm's 3" aluminum winding 4-layer coil, it should have no problems handling upwards of 3kw for burps.

and you're right.. the Rockford can compete with any of the subs mentioned above. even with its 4" copper winding coils, not much power-compression even at 2kw. yea..so much for the big coil.

the Team RF sub will be able to compete with any of the subs mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Ive been there. . . but never posted on their forums

I thnk you summed up everything nicely dead, but I would toss the Bostwick scrap in the garbage.
Im a very skeptic person when it comes to companies and over a period of 3 years i have gained alot of repsect for that company. Their amps are powerful. . . ive owned several of their A Class. A/B Class, and D Class Amps and they never let me down. I wouldnt touch any sub under the DCL, but that is a very slept on sub. It sounds good and gets very loud. It can handle every bit of power that it claims it can . . its actually a very nice sub. And i like Cadence too, but i like their older subs. . . I still have a pair of 10" Ultra Drives that bought in 94 sitting in my room, and i have a pair of 12" Bass Pros up in my attic. They didnt sound good as far as SQ, but them thing would beat a whole into your chest

nevermind that 156db.
its actually:

141.2 on the headrest at 20Hz
154.4 on the headrest at 43Hz
and it will do consistant 157's in the kickpanel meca style
Sounds more like it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDeKille@Aug 26 2003, 08:54 PM
I hate that place, lol.

DeAdPhLow, what do you think about the Soundstream DB Extreme subs'? It sounds like they are basically "fart machines."

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I havent played with the newer Sound Stream subs too much.

I have heard the Tratulas and they didnt sound too bad, they just didnt get loud enough for my taste. The subs that you are asking about just didnt really catch my attention

They look like beasts. . . but i see design flaws in it. The Xmax is only 14mm's one way and they have a 2" FAT BOY Surround on it? Well with all that extra rubber that does nothing for it, all it does is creates poor cone control and a "FLUTTERING" sound when the cone travels. . . Ive seen this alot in better audio subs as well. If they were cheap i would grab one and put in on a bench, but they cost to much to purchase it only to test it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts