LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 olds 98 regency brougham. And my 13x7 reverse wires don't tuck behind the skirts. Will a rear axle from a malibu or elcamino be shorter to allow my rims to tuck

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need to measure the over-all length of the rear. Then compare to other G body cars. I believe the track width is the same on all G bodies. A s10 4x4 rear might work, however you will need to get the brackets welded on to use your stock trailing arms.

·
57 RAG
30,659 Posts
I think a g body width is 58" but its not gonna be bolt in, in most cases u need to cut the brackets off both rear ends and reweld the old ones on the new rear ebd plus u need the pinion angle correct

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
I think a g body width is 58" but its not gonna be bolt in, in most cases u need to cut the brackets off both rear ends and reweld the old ones on the new rear ebd plus u need the pinion angle correct
So basically just swap the brackets from one to the other?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, you can use the brackets off of the original to use on the new rear. Try a 70-81 fbody rear or S10. Sit it in place and find your pinion angle. Then weld your g body brackets on.

·
57 RAG
30,659 Posts
Yeah, you can use the brackets off of the original to use on the new rear. Try a 70-81 fbody rear or S10. Sit it in place and find your pinion angle. Then weld your g body brackets on.
this is how I wuld do it take sum measurements before removing the old rear end. also while the car is up in the air u can get the pinion angle off the old rear end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you do not want to Go threw all the crap to modify a new rear end to fit in the G body the correct way you could always remove your stock rear end and take it to a shop to have them cut the rear down. It would be the same as narrowing a rear end for a hot rod for drag car. That way you don't have to worry about the suspension geometry and pinion angle. It will be a bold up application. It will just cost a little bit more. I believe speedway sells shortened axles for the G body.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
Dbruce8112
LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums
LayItLow forum is an online community for true Lowriders. Come in and discuss hydraulics, air ride tech tips and all the information you need for dropping your lowrider.
Full Forum Listing