LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i've finally done all my setup except for wire up the switch box to the switchboard and mount the front and rear brackets. tomarrow my brother and i are going to mount the brackets and bags and hopefully wire up the box, but im not sure where to mount the rear brackets...

the front seem easy enough, they should fit right where the springs were. the rear brackets on the other hand are kinda tricky ( i think). the rear is a coil spring setup. on the bottom it sits on the trailing arm (which is at an angle when the car is raised), then goes up right into a pocket in the frame. my problem is that if i mount the brackets (round 6" cup brackets my setup came with) in the place where the spring goes, on hte top, its kind of at an angle (pointing a little back) and on the bottom on the trailing arm, it will also be at an angle (pointing towards the back also), and this angle will increase the more i raise the car.

i was hopeing you guys could give me some suggestions on where or how to mount the brackets so the bags wont have to flex so much to make up for all these angles. and also, if i mount them where the springs in the rear were, the bag's will rub on the frame (towards the front of the car).

i have slam specialties HS bags, 6" for the front and 7" for the rear.. any comments on how to get around the rubbing and angles will help out. PICTURES would REALLY help out. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I havent seen exactly what the rear of a 66 looks like, but I think I know what you are talking about with the bending. If the springs were there before, there shouldnt be that bad of an angle on the bag. It is the same with the front setup. the front bags are usually on a pretty decent angle. when they are fully locked up, they will be on the greatest angle.

Unless you are going with an over the axle rear setup, the bags are always going to end up angled.

As for the bag rubbing, I cant really suggest any solution without seeing some pics of the surrounding area. You are probably gonna have to do some trimming anyway.

·
Registered
610 Posts
hey, i'm kinda new to this, this is my first post :cheesy:

i am in the process of baggin my 65 Impala ss hardtop, same frame as you, but i am going 2600 all the way around..

for the rear of my setup, i used the upper and lower cup type setup that i got in my kit, the only really modificaion i neded to do was cut the trailing arm mount on axle for the lower arms, ( they might rub your bags when locked down) and to fit the 2600 contitech bags, i had to heat up the spring cup and fold it together for clearnance, i chose to do this rather than cut it out with the sawzall.. i am currently setting up the front of the frame for the 2600's :uh: it's difficult, but i wanna ride on those the 2500's woudl probably just slide right in, but what's the fun of that, maybe since we're building the same stuff we can help each other out, keep in touch

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i finished my setup a couple weeks back. i did end up just mounting the brackets and bags in about the same place the springs went. i also had to cut off that bracket on the axle on both sides. as for the front, i have 6" slam HS bags dual port. i didint have to do anything for the passenger side, but for the drivers side i had to notch out the front side of the frame where the spring went through, for the bag not to rub. it rubbed a bit, but i cut out about a 1" by about 4" piece. should be fine now.

let me know if you have any other questions on how i did my setup.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i finished my setup a couple weeks back. i did end up just mounting the brackets and bags in about the same place the springs went. i also had to cut off that bracket on the axle on both sides. as for the front, i have 6" slam HS bags dual port. i didint have to do anything for the passenger side, but for the drivers side i had to notch out the front side of the frame where the spring went through, for the bag not to rub. it rubbed a bit, but i cut out about a 1" by about 4" piece. should be fine now.

let me know if you have any other questions on how i did my setup.

·
Registered
610 Posts
is your car put together, and if so, hows it hop? i was told that with my setup 9 gal airtank, 8 port, 1/2 line all the way 8 blitzluft valves and contitech 2600 bags that it should hop pretty well abotu 250 psi, i'm not sure yet though, it is only a rolling frame, the frame that was under my car was junk, so i went and bought another one oh, i still have 1 good frame left too ( i bought 2 at the same time) if you know anyone interested in it ( CHEAP) post some pics if you have them i would really like to see it!!

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is my first time with switches, so i havent gotten the hang of hopping with it just yet. when i hit it up (dual 1/2" ports at 170 psi), it gets off the ground about 1-2 inches. with 250 and single ports you should do pretty well.

once i start hitting it though and try to hop it, my air starts to run out so it gets slow and slugish. with 250 though you should be able to get some good licks in there though. hmm..i also running 24 gallons of air though, and you say you only have 9 gallons. who knows how that would go... i've noticed that each bag takes up about 5 psi out of my tanks when i hit it up. so just do the math...

i dont have any pics of me "trying" to hop it yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts