LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I got all my airline ran. Now I am getting ready to drop the rear-end and put my bags and shit in the ass. Anyway, I was looking at the rear-end and there are some parts there that I was not expecting. (Mostly because I am a complete newbie when it comes to this kind of thing)

First, There is a lever-type curved bar which attaches to the rear-end near the pumpkin and connects to the frame above the rear-end. I assume that the purpose of this "thing" is to keep the rear-end / drive shaft aligned when there is travel in the suspension. What the hell is this thing called?

Second, it has a small bar, which looks like a sway bar attached to the rear-suspension as well. What the hell is this?

Finally, what it the name of the suspension piece that the bag sits on. I think motor heads call it a traction bar or something? It is a straight bar which attaches to the frame and the coil spring sits on it.

I am wanting to get all new bushings for the moving rear-end parts on the chevy before I put it together. I need help with the terminology so I don't look like a complete ass. What kind of bushings and shit should I look to replace while I have the ass-end dropped out of the car.

- Brad

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Banana bar

Panhard Bar

Trailing arm

only way to replace all bushings and sleeves is to go with rubber, if you want to get poly bushings you have to reuse some of the bushing sleeves.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by skandalouz@Aug 31 2005, 06:59 PM~3728905
Banana bar

Panhard Bar

Trailing arm

only way to replace all bushings and sleeves is to go with rubber,  if you want to get poly bushings you have to reuse some of the bushing sleeves.
From what I understand, poly are too stiff. I am definitely planning on going all rubber for this job. Are there any special tools needed to get these particular sets of bushings in? Do I need the panhard and bananna bar?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by b_diddy1@Aug 31 2005, 08:10 PM~3728988
From what I understand, poly are too stiff. I am definitely planning on going all rubber for this job. Are there any special tools needed to get these particular sets of bushings in? Do I need the panhard and bananna bar?
yes

yes and yes

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
I upgraded all my bushings in the 61 with Energy Suspension and they are fantastic, no problems with any of them. :cool: Highly recomend them over rubber OEM. :cool:

I used a shop press, a quart of moonshine, a pack of smokes,and a match to do the job. Try and see if it works for you. :cool:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by SIXONEFORLIFE@Aug 31 2005, 10:58 PM~3730725
I upgraded all my bushings in the 61 with Energy Suspension and they are fantastic, no problems with any of them.  :cool: Highly recomend them over rubber OEM. :cool:

I used a shop press, a quart of moonshine, a pack of smokes,and a match to do the job. Try and see if it works for you. :cool:
Nice. Will a bottle of bacardi 151 substitute for the moonshine?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by SIXONEFORLIFE@Aug 31 2005, 10:58 PM~3730725
I upgraded all my bushings in the 61 with Energy Suspension and they are fantastic, no problems with any of them.  :cool: Highly recomend them over rubber OEM. :cool:

You got a website on those guys? What are the names of the bushings that I need to ask for?

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
Originally posted by b_diddy1@Sep 1 2005, 12:04 AM~3730755
You got a website on those guys? What are the names of the bushings that I need to ask for?

The absolute best place to buy any Energy Suspension Product on the net is www.suspension.com Great Place to buy from very reliable,and great service! :cool:

·
tippin' on 3
5,078 Posts
Getting thoes bushings out is a fucking bitch!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by b_diddy1@Aug 31 2005, 11:17 PM~3731438
I was reading that the best way to get em oit is to burn them out with a torch. Any truth to that?
Burning them out does work....Very, very smokey !!! Make sure you have adequate ventilation for sure. Once there out, burn off the excess rubber and clean them up with wire brush or wire wheel on a die grinder.

Press is your best though.

John

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
Originally posted by b_diddy1@Sep 1 2005, 02:17 AM~3731438
I was reading that the best way to get em oit is to burn them out with a torch. Any truth to that?

as i mentioned before moonshine, a pack of smokes, and a match...lol.... burn'em baby! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts