LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I installed some new Red's 18" telescopics, on an older pump.
I am running 36V to the pump, and it spins... I stuck the hose in my oil jug and it makes some pressure... I thought maybe I had a bad check ball, but I put in new ones. I thought maybe my dumps were both hung open, so I closed my slowdown all the way shut... I know there was oil in the tank, because it holds nearly a gallon. It makes enough pressure to empty the tank, but not lift the car. I swapped the hoses, to the front pump, and everything is okay. It works as expected...

The only thing I can assume is that my damned pumphead in the rear pump is no good. :dunno:

Does this sound right to anyone? I got these pumps 2 years ago, and went through them completely. One head needed replacing so I bought a new #6 from PNUT. It is obviously the one in the front pump right?

Can anyone think of something I might have overlooked?

Yeah-Low

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
my guess would be the pump head seals. you made sure you put the key back in the pump right ( i think you said it was gettin oil to the cylenders........)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I put the key in... I don't know for sure, but would it shoot oil if the key weren't in? I bought four keys, and have 2 left. Im sure I put the key in. Pump seals.... Which seals would you be referring to? I put new shaft seals in the block, is there a gasket of some sort in the layers of the pump head?

YL.

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Originally posted by Yeah-Low@Sep 13 2005, 12:56 PM~3805404
Yeah. I put the key in... I don't know for sure, but would it shoot oil if the key weren't in? I bought four keys, and have 2 left. Im sure I put the key in. Pump seals.... Which seals would you be referring to? I put new shaft seals in the block, is there a gasket of some sort in the layers of the pump head?

YL.
what kind of pump head ( marz and the rockfords that look like marz ) has the seals in between. if its a fenner, break it open and check the gear to shaft clips ( they break when not tourqued right )
no it would NOT shoot oil if the key was out.
when you hit the switch, does it make ANYKIND of sound like it WANTS to lift it, or just free spin?

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
maybe the pump head o-rings. i had the same problem and it was the little o ring , it was missing. put the o ring in and it worked fine. these were on fenner gears

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a free spin. When I first connected it up, it acted like it was headed up, and then just halted and free spun. I know the check valves are not in backwards, because the pump spins too easily. I am at a loss on this one. I guess I am going to try a new head.
BTW, it isn't Marzocci, it is Fenner-Stone. I replaced the other one, because it had a horrible chafe. I tried to finger spin it and it was stuck. I threw it away and bought a new one. I can't understand why this other one isnt maiking any pressure.

Has anyone ever heard of an air lock in the inlet elbow? mine has the 90 degree elbow inlet. Is it possible to get an air lock in that damned thing?
Thanks,

YL.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
you didnt leave the plugs in the pumphead did you?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
there is a o ring where the oil flows out of the head into the block. if its gone it wont build pressure.

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
heres what i would:
pull the pump, then pull the tank
remove the head and check the o-ring nastyredz said
then pull the head aprt and check the gears and shaft

i would remove the elbow off the pump head.
if everything is fine, retourque it to 20-35 ft pounds ( fenner)
reassemble and try again.
do not put a marz or rockford ( marz look alike ) on that block if you cant mount it using 4 bolts. it will work itself off the block...........
be sure to tourque

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When all the original rebuilding took place, I was sure to torque.
I can't remember if I put the O-ring seal back in or not... :banghead:

I already decided to yank the pump then the tank... I just need to clean my work area a little first.
I really wasn't ready to connect power to the rear cyls in the first place... Now I have oil all over my damn trunk. :banghead: And My install was looking clean too..... DAMN IT.

*sigh* Oh well I guess I'll have to pull the whole rack, and build one a little more permanent. I have to build some battery racks too. The whole setup I have is sitting on a rack made for an S-10.

If I did replace the o-ring seal, and didn't torque right, would that make a problem? I just cant remember what the hell I did... (ARGHH!)

THanks for all the replies guys. Keep them coming.

YL.

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Originally posted by Yeah-Low@Sep 15 2005, 09:19 AM~3819769
When all the original rebuilding took place, I was sure to torque.
I can't remember if I put the O-ring seal back in or not...  :banghead:

I already decided to yank the pump then the tank... I just need to clean my work area a little first.
I really wasn't ready to connect power to the rear cyls in the first place... Now I have oil all over my damn trunk. :banghead: And My install was looking clean too..... DAMN IT.

*sigh* Oh well I guess I'll have to pull the whole rack, and build one a little more permanent. I have to build some battery racks too. The whole setup I have is sitting on a rack made for an S-10.

If I did replace the o-ring seal, and didn't torque right, would that make a problem? I just cant remember what the hell I did... (ARGHH!)

THanks for all the replies guys. Keep them coming.

YL.
yeah. i remeber buying a brand new fenner head years ago, didnt even think of tourquing it. put it in, filled the oil, hit the xwitch as soon as the oil was ready to lift, free spin....... it broke the U clips thats holds the grears in place on the shaft. i was sooooooooooo pissed. and ofcourse no one knew where to get them at. and at the time marz just came in to play, so i ordered that and a block for it.
damn that was a long time ago............ lesson learned. always tourque.
now if you just forgot the seal ( o-ring) it'll shoot the oil sideays rather then up threw the block into the cylenders, causing it to free spin.

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
first thing i would do is make sure your dumps arnt activated thus letting the pressure recycle its self instead of having the pressure to lift the car... if thats not it ........ then pull the motor and see if the key is still in tact...i have some keys longer than others ..and maybee it could work for a lil bit..then stripp out the teeth on the key from not having enuff contact..i dunno...its madd easy to pull the motor so you would only los 5 mins of yo time.......if thats not the case ...i say pump head probs ......................have youy replumbed any of your fittings since you last had that pump hooked ...........like maybe checks.........i wouldnt think checks,cuz you would get nada for oil to the cylinders

·
Registered
178 Posts
are you pushing oil? if so the problem is post pump and within the dump/checks, that somehwhat other than internal leaks cancels out seals, if you have oil movement its checks, if not check your gear seal, or resevior pickup, what angle are you pumps at?? is the pickup geting oil? of pushing air? do you have an air lock maybe??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts