LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished rebuilding my 350 in a 73 impala and the damm motor wont start dont do nothing at all new battery,starter ,altenator some help please

·
~Maniako Enfermo~
8,364 Posts
Originally posted by bigdog73@Feb 14 2010, 08:00 PM~16612815
i just finished rebuilding my 350 in a 73 impala and the damm motor wont start dont do nothing at all new battery,starter ,altenator some help please
does it even try to turn over?

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by chongo1@Feb 14 2010, 11:02 PM~16613456
put a breaker bar on it and try to spin it when you rebuild em you can tighten rods and mains too tight then your starter wont budge it if it dont turn pull heads off and try turn again
thats what a torque wrench is for,they dont make the specs for nothing.

plus overtightening something like rods and mains dont make them smaller or tighter,it just stretches the bolts :uh:

im gonna go out on a limb and ask you how did you adjust the rocker arms? you had to have spun the engine over while doing this. you didnt tighten them all the way down did you? we need some more info to help you out

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Feb 15 2010, 02:40 PM~16619134

plus overtightening something like rods and mains dont make them smaller or tighter,it just stretches the bolts :uh:

im gonna go out on a limb and ask you how did you adjust the rocker arms? you had to have spun the engine over while doing this. you didnt tighten them all the way down did you? we need some more info to help you out
x2

probably just not grounded right though

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
motor does nothing my lights dont even work i did everything under specs put a brand new optima battery any suggestions on why i may not have any juice ?

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Originally posted by bigdog73@Feb 15 2010, 09:25 PM~16622567
motor does nothing  my lights dont even work i did everything under specs put a brand new optima battery any suggestions on why i may not have any juice ?

not grounded right

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its grounded to the block were else would i ground to

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Originally posted by bigdog73@Feb 15 2010, 09:58 PM~16622978
its grounded to the block were else would i ground to
body has to be grounded too and the block to the frame and the battery to the block

you can never have too many grounds

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks homie i'll try that hopefully i get it running

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Feb 15 2010, 04:40 PM~16619134

bahahahha-hate to admit it but i did that on one of my first rebuilds,had fuckin fire comin thru carb,and bitch wouldnt start at all...thought my shit was 180 degrees out even tho i set it in tdc

learn from experience i always say,thats the only way to learn :cool:

·
DODGING ROAD KILL
11,710 Posts
Check to see if have a positive lead running from your battery to your voltage regulator.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by bigdog73@Feb 15 2010, 10:25 PM~16622567
motor does nothing  my lights dont even work i did everything under specs put a brand new optima battery any suggestions on why i may not have any juice ?
check the connection on the firewall.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
POWER WIRE RUNNING STRAIGHT TO STARTER I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD AWIRE RUNNING FROM THE FIREWALL TO THE MOTOR I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FROM THE FRAME TO THE BLOCK

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THE CONNECTION ON THE FIREWALL LOOKS GOOD HAS ANY OF YOU HEARD OF THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH DO THSE GO BAD?

·
DODGING ROAD KILL
11,710 Posts
Originally posted by bigdog73@Feb 16 2010, 09:49 AM~16627563
POWER WIRE RUNNING STRAIGHT TO STARTER  I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD AWIRE RUNNING FROM THE FIREWALL TO THE MOTOR I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FROM THE FRAME TO THE BLOCK
You'll have a positive wire running from the battery to the starter, another from the battery to the voltage regulator. You may have more than one issues thought, but double check all your wires.

Pink63Impala was referring to the bulk head. Make sure that's not loose.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WHEN I TOOK THE FRONT END OFF THERE WAS NO VALTAGE REGULATOR AT ALL

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
so you have no power to anything at all,no lights no radio nothing?

well power has to get from the battery to the inside of the car somehow,either goes from the battery to the voltage reg and into the bulk head or from the battery to the starter to the bulkhead.
id start at the battery and work my way from there.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by bigdog73@Feb 16 2010, 11:52 AM~16627586
THE CONNECTION ON THE FIREWALL LOOKS GOOD HAS ANY OF YOU HEARD OF THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH DO THSE GO BAD?
yeah but that wont let your car start,you would still have lights/horn and when you turn key on you will be able to run all acc(radio/heater blower ect) just wont let motor turn over because switch doesnt think your in Park or Nuetral ;)
you have something else different...dumb question ...but are you sure your battery isnt just dead?? :dunno: how long did battery sit before you put it in??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts