LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you have to use house of kolor reducer with house of kolor kandy.or can you use another brand reducer with the house of kolor kandy.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Nope hok reducer is not needed I used something else forgot what it was though and turned out fine. Probaly ppg but dont remember. A honest paint store should tell you but most will try and fuck you and get you to pay for the hok reducer.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
contrary to what paint manufactures tell you .......the mixing of different brands of paint is no problem!! as long as the base chemical of the paint is the same----for example urathane, laquer, enamel etc----as long as the paint is the same chemical make up then you can mix it----now lots of the paint companies will tell you that if you mix brands then they will not guarantee the out come of the paint------but they also don't tell you that unless you are a licensed painter and the job is done at a licensed shop that they will not cover you either-----------so just try out whatever you think will work---------peace

"richee"

Last edited by lowriderlife at Oct 20 2003, 07:16 AM

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh I just needed some the other day and didnt want to wait to order it.but I never painted anything yet.got my car wet sanded in a few spots instead.thanks for the info.

·
Registered
949 Posts
you can use other reducers quit succesfully but don't go on the assumption that they won't cause any side effects -- always test a sample first . Their are many different types of chemicals that make up thinners which can have quit different dissolving rates and polar properties and chemical structure which can infact change the properties of your product -- from flow to dryin,bleeding,migration and adhesion etc.. can be afected using different brand thinners ..
the companies test solvents under extreme conditions with there paint to give you the best allround product and thinner being the cheapest part of paint I wouldn't bother tryin to save money there ..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** I use HOK & PPG on an everyday basis.... I have effectively used Omni reducer with HOK paints & I have used HOK reducer for Omni , & DBU without a problem..... I feel that HOK reducer is better -- There is something about it that makes it flow better .... Maybe its just me but, You can use different stuff....I just like having HOK stuff all over my garage too..... :biggrin:

*** I will not try this with anything else tho.... I had to use a different reducer a few times & they have always been These 2 brands ..... i would leave it to that .....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts