LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
i posted a little while back about my Regal running too hot
well i replaced both hoses, fan clutch, the water pump was replaced last year.
it overheated with the thermostat on , so i took it off and it still overheats
what could be the problem here?
it is a 231 v6, by the way
is there any remedy to this dilemma?
holla with any info for me
thanks

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't think it's losing coolant
it boils over when i shut off the car..... comes out my air vent in my overflow tank....it is a polished stainless steel overflow
there is still coolant in the radiator after it boils over, so i don't think it's losing any while drivin

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
change the thermostat over to the 160 degree instead of 180 degrees. dat way it will let the coolant in when the temp. hits 160.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by cleAn85@Sep 9 2003, 02:44 AM
change the thermostat over to the 160 degree instead of 180 degrees. dat way it will let the coolant in when the temp. hits 160.
did you even read what he said???

HE HAS NO THERMOSTAT IN IT ANYWAY

hey, did you ever replace the cap like I suggested?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
i jus fixed the same prop same car it was air in the cooling system vacum the air out and i bet dimes to donuts it goes away!
:cool:

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Have you repalced the radiator yet?
My homies Regal, had the same problem, and it turned out to be the water pump. Are you sure the water pump is working properly?
Sometimes even when they are brand new, they are defective.
The only reason I'm saying this is becasue it has happen to me before.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i see i need to keep workin on it
i am gonna replace the cap, radiator,and vacuum the system
while i'm at it, i am gonna get another water pump..... maybe it IS defective ( thanks Ricardo )
i hope to get this shit fixed soon
starting to get on my last nerve lol
thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 816customshop@Sep 9 2003, 06:17 AM
i jus fixed the same prop same car it was air in the cooling system vacum the air out and i bet dimes to donuts it goes away!
:cool:
btw, how do ya vac the air out of the system?
i'd like to try that too since it might help out here

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
if you replace the water pump you allow air in the system it can float as bubbles to the area around the cylinder and create hot spots there is a tool for vaccuming the air out try a parts house that is the cheapest and easiest route to take

·
Registered
867 Posts
replace the cap. your cap is made to release pressure when your water in there gets too hot. lots of times the cap gets worn and will not do this. and another way to get the air out is to take the cap off make sure the water is cold. put your hand over the fill spout and have some one start it. now what you did when you started it is have the block suck water into it and all the air should float to the top. and by putting your hand over it, it will cause the suction to pull just water in try it might work. then fill what ever you were low. also squeeze the rad. lines to try to get trapped bubbles to the top ;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
w/ the engine cold, take the cap off then start it. with no termostat in it you should see the water in the radiator moving. if not your pump is bad or the radiator is clogged.

and just to make sure. you still have the fan shroud on, both top and bottom, right? is the air damn under the front end in place?
if any of these pieces are missing, that could be your probablem!!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
everything is the way it should be
i just got back from puttin a new cap on and takin the air out of the system
i drove it for awhile and when i shut it off it didn't blow coolant at first
then it started about a minute or two later..... it is improving cause it is not bubblin and gurgling like it was
i looked in the radiator and saw alot of white scale over the flow ports
you guys think a new radiator is in order?
holla back

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by cceregalboy@Sep 9 2003, 10:37 PM
everything is the way it should be
i just got back from puttin a new cap on and takin the air out of the system
i drove it for awhile and when i shut it off it didn't blow coolant at first
then it started about a minute or two later..... it is improving cause it is not bubblin and gurgling like it was
i looked in the radiator and saw alot of white scale over the flow ports
you guys think a new radiator is in order?
holla back
anyone?
i just want to make sure i'm doin the right thing here
i hope i got all the air out, too
i did my best squeezin the hoses and shit
i am starting to lean toward havin to get another radiator
holla guys
peace

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** Well lets see here , You put a different water pump on it ?? You took out your thermostat .... You flush your radiator ??

** Did you replace your fan shroud or remove it .. My 64 ran hotter than shit without one in - I tried electric fans & all but it just likes the shroud.........

I would say you need to put a decent temp thermostat back in it ... One that aint cheap as hell.... Get a new water pump anyways -- they are cheap $30 -$40 ...Check to see if you radiator is clogged up from sludge.....If there is any sort of build up in the radiator , there might be some shit in your water jackets in your engine block .. or in your heater core ......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts