LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the frame on my '64 wrapped in a few weeks. I got this guy coming over to do the welding for me. What size steel should we use(he says 1/4 inch)? I was also gonna rent a plasma cutter for all the cutting, does it work better than saws?
Any advise will help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Originally posted by azpitbull@Dec 17 2003, 09:32 PM
I am having the frame on my '64 wrapped in a few weeks. I got this guy coming over to do the welding for me. What size steel should we use(he says 1/4 inch)? I was also gonna rent a plasma cutter for all the cutting, does it work better than saws?
Any advise will help.
1/4 WILL WORK JUST FINE, A PLASMA CUTTER IS BETTER AND FASTER THAN A SAW. THATS JUST MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
You can use 3/16" too. It is a little easier to work with and costs less. It wont make any diff on strength. But, 1/4" is good alot of hopping and 3-wheel. I use a combo of thicknesses so not to use thick heavy steel in areas that dont really need it. A plasma cutter is the best choice for cutting. Faster and neater than even a torch. Saw would suck :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
one thing that ALOT of people forget about is that
it's HOW you wrap it, tricks e.t.c that makes it strong not just what thickness. everybody just stares at what thickness not how it's done up... just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
7,112 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Dec 18 2003, 03:33 AM
it's HOW you wrap it, tricks e.t.c that makes it strong not just what thickness. everybody just stares at what thickness not how it's done up... just something to think about.
POST SOME MORE OF YOUR FRAME PICS , THEY WOULD HELP HIM
OUT......PLUS IT'S REALLY CLEAN WORK :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by BlackMagicHydraulics+Dec 18 2003, 07:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackMagicHydraulics @ Dec 18 2003, 07:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--badass 64@Dec 18 2003, 03:33 AM
POST SOME MORE OF YOUR FRAME PICS , THEY WOULD HELP HIM
OUT......PLUS IT'S REALLY CLEAN WORK :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
Agreed :biggrin: :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts