LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have an 86 linc town car limo streched 60 inches with 2 pumps 4 batts, now i was wonder ing if i should reinforce the frame hella people give me mixed answers, so i was just wondering what i should do. my frame is already fully boxed in and if it were a normal car i woulddnet ask this question but since its hella long i have my doubts and id like to do shit the right way on my car and im a pretty good welder so what should i do?

oh yeah and id like to be able to a couple of rolling 3 wheels every now and then

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i did my frist rolling 3 today, it was so fucking fun!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so even though my frame is alredy fully boxed i should reinforce it cause i dont wanna operate my shit half ass

ttt

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone know????????

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Think of it like this:
Take a piece of metal and bend it one time, then bend it back. -No big differance right?

-Then do this every day for 1 week, -this piece of metal will be in 2 pieces.

That's how you need to think when reinforcing cars too. One or two 3'wheels here and there won't change much. But after a while it will get beat, the frame will crack and the trailing arms will get bent and so on... It slowly turns to shit.

Reinforcing is fun work and don't take all that long either, better to do it before so you can just forget about it when cruising your Low.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by badass 64@Aug 20 2005, 12:30 AM~3661381
Think of it like this:
Take a piece of metal and bend it one time, then bend it back. -No big differance right?

-Then do this every day for 1 week, -this piece of metal will be in 2 pieces.

That's how you need to think when reinforcing cars too. One or two 3'wheels here and there won't change much. But after a while it will get beat, the frame will crack and the trailing arms will get bent and so on... It slowly turns to shit.

Reinforcing is fun work and don't take all that long either, better to do it before so you can just forget about it when cruising your Low.
yeah true, i geuss i will do it, what kind of metal should i use and where should i put it? :puffin: :puffin:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Use 3/16" or 1/4", whatever you like. Rear humps, cross member, spring towers and every part that is C-Channel is the weakest spots along with the trailing arms / A-arms and rear axel housing...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah im gunna try to get some 1/4th inch channel im gunna reinforce every part of that frame its gunna be bulletproof when im done with it

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey should i run some square tubing parallel to the frame for hella reinforcemnt?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by low4life86@Aug 21 2005, 05:22 PM~3665146
hey should i run some square tubing parallel to the frame for hella reinforcemnt?
Sure, you can do that, like a sub frame type you mean? That's allways a good idea, I'm in the process of doing a little sub frame work myselfe. :0 :biggrin:

G

·
i used 3\16 thick metal to reinforce my frame on my cutlass it`s just as strong as the 1\4 inch butt you don`t need to heat it up to bend it a good sleghammer helps

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by low4life86@Aug 21 2005, 08:22 AM~3665146
yeah i am gunna reinforce this frame lke no other, i also am gunna build a better battey rack. does anyone have any pics?

·
Premium Member
34,400 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Aug 20 2005, 04:30 AM~3661381

:thumbsup: True

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if i do it, and i will. im gunna make that frame so strong i need to i geuss cause it so long it could bend with ease so do all u guys reccomend that i use square metal tubing to run along each side of the frame and use some 1/4 inch channel to run across the frame? i also wanna trace out the bottom of my a arms and cut some 1/4th inch steel and weld it to the bottom of it but i am not sure how i should reinforce my rear axle housing and is reinforcement of the trailing arms really nessesary?
and i would appreicate some pics of nice ass battery racks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts