LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM ABOUT TO START REINFORCING MY FRAME ON MY 69 IMPALA AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD A LINK TO A TOPIC I COULD FOLLOW OR SOME PICS TO GO BY.I DID A G BODY BUT I WAS TOLD THESE ARE A LOT DIFFERENT TO WRAP.ALSO WOULD YOU SUGGEST WELDING THE FACTORY WELDS FIRST ,THAN SANDBLAST THE FRAME THAN START THE REINFORCING AFTERWARDS..ANYBODY ?THANKS :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT :biggrin:

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by bad company@Jan 18 2010, 04:54 PM~16328896
I AM ABOUT TO START REINFORCING MY FRAME ON MY 69 IMPALA AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD A LINK TO A TOPIC I COULD FOLLOW OR SOME PICS TO GO BY.I DID A G BODY BUT I WAS TOLD THESE ARE A LOT DIFFERENT TO WRAP.ALSO WOULD YOU SUGGEST WELDING THE FACTORY WELDS FIRST ,THAN SANDBLAST THE FRAME THAN START THE REINFORCING AFTERWARDS..ANYBODY ?THANKS  :biggrin:
welding up the factory seams is definatley a good thing to do..wrapping this frame or the g body frame isnt much different when it comes to wrapping the frames..you still wrap all 4 sides. i would suggest cutting out quarter size holes in the center of the plates so that u can do whats called a plug weld, where u weld in the hole to attach the plate to the center of the frame and not just the corners of the frame...other than that still same shit

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HEY KINGFISH :biggrin: You helped me out before and here you are again!Yes I looked at plug welding after the fact,when it was to late on the g body.I know the wrapping is basically the same but a few more odd angles and curves etc. on my 6-9.And a long process.Do you suggest cutting out a bunch of templates first and than weld here and there on the frame to avoid warping of the frame.Also once the factory welds are all welded up should I get the frame sandblasted ,or do it before the factory welds are done :biggrin: ?

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by bad company@Jan 18 2010, 09:57 PM~16333068
HEY KINGFISH :biggrin: You helped me out before and here you are again!Yes I looked at plug welding after the fact,when it was to late on the g body.I know the wrapping is basically the same but a few more odd angles and curves etc. on my 6-9.And a long process.Do you suggest cutting out a bunch of templates first and than weld here and there on the frame to avoid warping of the frame.Also once the factory welds are all welded up should I get the frame sandblasted ,or do it before the factory welds are done :biggrin: ?
i just wire wheel the frame really well...if the frame is greasy or dirty some engine degreaser or engine gunk and a pressure washer or the do it urself car washes with the pressure washer works well...then just hit the frame with a wire wheel...i also get a kitty paw disc and grind the metal ur welding onto the frame that way the metal is clean from contaminents...i use cardboard and cut my templates out of that...its quick and cheap...then i cut out the pieces and tack weld one on and weld about 6 inches or so on one side..then go and weld on another section to keep the heat down and help prevent warping

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Jan 18 2010, 09:06 PM~16333215
i just wire wheel the frame really well...if the frame is greasy or dirty some engine degreaser or engine gunk and a pressure washer or the do it urself car washes with the pressure washer works well...then just hit the frame with a wire wheel...i also get a kitty paw disc and grind the metal ur welding onto the frame that way the metal is clean from contaminents...i use cardboard and cut my templates out of that...its quick and cheap...then i cut out the pieces and tack weld one on and weld about 6 inches or so on one side..then go and weld on another section to keep the heat down and help prevent warping
I appreciate the help ,I can get the frame blasted for about $125.00 and verses the time to do the wire wheel bit I like blasting it instead .But for the welding etc. your right on the money with my plans,Just seems to drag on so long and it seems like it is a never ending job,Cant get over that part man.. :uh: :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts