LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever done that? How do you do it? If you dont and you hop, are the quarterpanels gonna buckle(like the '62 on the boulevard daytons ad in lowrider)? The only time ive ever heard of that being done is on V. MAX car.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
that car's buckled infront of the rear wheel just behind the door if i recall correctly, the most common is that they buckle right above the rear wheel. fiberglassing the insides of the rear quarters will keep them from buckeling, allso reinforce the frame and run stiff poly urethane bodymounts, a stiff-ass reinforced frame wont help if you run soft rubber body mounts!!!

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by azpitbull@Jan 14 2004, 06:55 PM
U did it?
no never done it myselfe, i talked alot to people that's done it and i pretty much know fiberglassing so i think it seems to be a good idea!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
my buddies cutty has 7 layers of fiberglass matting on the inside of the quaterpannel. it aint going nowere! :cool: i have seen people weld an angle iron to the inside but that could warp the sheet metal and will burn the paint if it has been painted already.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the article it said that they first used 1/8inch steel than fiberglass. Has anybody done that? So if you dont reinforce panels will buckle for sure?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by dough916@Jan 14 2004, 07:08 PM
i have seen people weld an angle iron to the inside but that could warp the sheet metal and will burn the paint if it has been painted already.
that would be totally impossible to do without destroying the paint!
i cant even belive people do that!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
i cant understand how a person could even come up with the idea of doing that!!!!

Last edited by badass 64 at Jan 14 2004, 07:27 PM

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
On my cuttlass dancer. I'm thinking of using a few coats of fiber glass. Then I want to close off the quaters from the trunk area and fill them in with foam. Not sure yet. I'm not that far .So, I'm just kinda thinking ahead. Fiber glassing looks like its gonna suck getting up into the area above and just in front of the wheels. Guess its the price to pay. :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Jan 14 2004, 10:06 PM
On my cuttlass dancer. I'm thinking of using a few coats of fiber glass. Then I want to close off the quaters from the trunk area and fill them in with foam. Not sure yet. I'm not that far .So, I'm just kinda thinking ahead. Fiber glassing looks like its gonna suck getting up into the area above and just in front of the wheels. Guess its the price to pay. :)
** it will be fine .... Make sure you do & buy a box of latex gloves , & a cheap painters suit for $10 ... get all your shit together & have at it....... I am using a decent weight fiberglass matting so less layers are required ...... I will do about 3 or so ...... I thougth about foam as well after the fiberglass.....I think I will do it....

·
O.G. Poster
1,090 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Jan 14 2004, 11:06 PM
that's the best way a few layers of fiber glass and then fill the rest with expanding foam ... I hurd that 3m makes a epoxy version of the foam that's super strong

·
Premium Member
54,754 Posts
I PUT A GALLON OF FIBERGLASS ON EACH SIDE OF THE REAR QUARTER PANELS,,,,,,,,,,,IF YOU RE CAR IS PAINTED YOU NEED TO RUN WATER TO KEEP IT COOL,,,,,,,TRY PUTTING THE FIBERGLASS ALL THE WAY FROM THE REAR OF THE TRUCK TO THE DOOR :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So nobody uses metal, then fiberglass? We are wrapping my frame right now, and i'm gonna get those stiff body bushings. Should i still do the quarters?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Originally posted by RICH@Jan 16 2004, 09:13 AM
I PUT A GALLON OF FIBERGLASS ON EACH SIDE OF THE REAR QUARTER PANELS,,,,,,,,,,,IF YOU RE CAR IS PAINTED YOU NEED TO RUN WATER TO KEEP IT COOL,,,,,,,TRY PUTTING THE FIBERGLASS ALL THE WAY FROM THE REAR OF THE TRUCK TO THE DOOR :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to that reply ;)

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by azpitbull@Jan 16 2004, 04:32 PM
So nobody uses metal, then fiberglass? We are wrapping my frame right now, and i'm gonna get those stiff body bushings. Should i still do the quarters?
Using metal strips wouldnt work too good. on top of having problems with heat warpage and burn through. You cant really get in there too good. It has to be welded up in the right way to brace it. Just welding a strip across the panel wont help. The fibre glass itself is stronger than anything that can be welded in. Listen to Rich also. Even if you havent gothe car painted yet. Run water on the out side of the panel. The chemical reaction of the fibre glass produces alot of heat and can bubble your paint. Or even warp the sheet metal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So i should do the quarters for sure? ANYBODY IN HERE HOPS AN IMPALA WITHOUT REINF. PANELS, DOES EVERYBODYS BUCKLE?

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
you can also go down by a marina and hit up a place that does boat repair. they have thicker material. a jucuzzi builder would also probably have some. cheaper to buy from them then the hardware store, can buy fiberglass by 5 gallon drum at the place i go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts