LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tryin to remove the plastic housing around the turn signal lever on the steering column. But i cant figure it out and i dont want to break or scratch up the housing or the column. my main objective is to expose the trun signal lever so i can take it off and replace it. thanks

b.t.w. its an 87 M.C.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
just pull that shit out they just pop out and slide back in but idk if you can replace just the plastic i think you have to replace the whole thing

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Jan 6 2009, 05:28 PM~12625705
Take off the steering wheel, then the guts behind that, you will see then how to get it out.  not too hard.
x2

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Jan 6 2009, 07:28 PM~12625705
Take off the steering wheel, then the guts behind that, you will see then how to get it out.  not too hard.
x3, and don't forget you'll need a lock plate depressor tool along with a steering wheel puller.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
if you just want the lever out just pull it out, but if you want to take the whole assembly with the wire then you have to take everything apart

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
the lever has wires running through it and i may be wrong but even if you pull out the lever your not gonna change out anything cuz the wires are still connected inside the column.

whats that lock plate depressor? The steering wheel comes off then the turn signal cam and then the turn signal right? What am I missing?

I have a harmonic balancer puller/installer that Ive found works for steering wheels too. Good to know ;)

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Jan 6 2009, 08:32 PM~12626343
the lever has wires running through it and i may be wrong but even if you pull out the lever your not gonna change out anything cuz the wires are still connected inside the column.

whats that lock plate depressor?  The steering wheel comes off then the turn signal cam and then the turn signal right?  What am I missing?

I have a harmonic balancer puller/installer that Ive found works for steering wheels too.  Good to know ;)
it only has a wire if it has cruise control :0 which he didnt tell us if he did

he also didnt tell us why he wants it out. so......

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
probably cuz if its older or more used and its one of the chrome plastic ones then the chrome is probably wearing off, im guessing. I doubt you could break one without breaking the cam guts first.. New clean chrome ones with the wiper/cruise stuff on em look snazzy tho!!

These nags right here
Ebay chrome lever

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

this is a lock plate remover and you need to remove the lock plate after you remove the steering wheel to get to the turn signal guts and shit

heres some instructions click this

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks 4 all the info guys....

i just had to pull it out.

4 got to mention that it did have cruise control and it controls the wipers.

i removed the old one to install a billet turn signal lever.

i obviously lost the cruise control function(no biggie)

now i just need to install and re-locate a switch for the wipers.

thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts