LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be removing the body off a frame on a 1981 Chevy Caprice 2 door. I have never done this before so what is all involved in getting the body off the frame? Also what size metal do you recommend for me to use to fully wrap the frame?

Second is I have never reinforced a frame either, and I heard welding things to the frame actually weakens the frame since your heating the frame up by the welder, is this true? Any suggestions on how to wrap the frames and any critical parts that might need more reinforcing than others? Remember this is my first time and I'm open to any suggestions. I want to learn how to do this myself and don't want to take it to somebody to get it done. I have a hookup with metal, so that's not an option.

Just to let you know, I'm looking to hop the car and three wheel alot so post your suggestions on how to wrap the frame with this stuff in mind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to say that I have a hookup for metal so that's not a problem, not what was stated above. Trying to type too fast and screwed that up. Oops. :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
easyest way to get the body off the frame would be to get the car up on jackstands like knee high, then you remove the rearbumper, gastank, and front clip/fenders. unscrew the breaklines along with all the things conected to the motor, water lines and all electrics.
then you place jackstands on a long piece of wood under the kickpanels.
unscrew the bodymounts while you use 2 jacks, one under the crossmember and one at the rear of the frame, ones the body mounts is loose just lower the jacks and roll out the chassie under the body... simple as that and this way you wont have to lift up the body either.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
as for reinforcing the frame for hopping i would go with nothing but a full wrap. use 3/16" or 1/4" at the most anything above that is too much overkill. do all 4 sides front to back, if theres anything you wanna know about how to get it right you can hit me on the PM.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Nov 28 2003, 03:23 AM
as for reinforcing the frame for hopping i would go with nothing but a full wrap. use 3/16" or 1/4" at the most anything above that is too much overkill. do all 4 sides front to back, if theres anything you wanna know about how to get it right you can hit me on the PM.
ya, but what do you know about fabricating and welding? :uh:

:biggrin: :biggrin: j/p

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally don't know anything about welding, but my dad who is going to be doing all the welding for me has been for thirty years so he know pretty much how to weld any metal to any surface. The only thing he was curious about is he heard when you weld something to the frame, it actually weakens the frame a little since your applying so much heat directly to it. Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Originally posted by ThumperCR@Nov 28 2003, 10:40 AM
I personally don't know anything about welding, but my dad who is going to be doing all the welding for me has been for thirty years so he know pretty much how to weld any metal to any surface. The only thing he was curious about is he heard when you weld something to the frame, it actually weakens the frame a little since your applying so much heat directly to it. Any opinions on this?
you have to build a jig for your frame...and do 2 inch shoot at the time on different part of the frame...first tack it them little passes...on different spot...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody have pictures of what the jig looks like, and do I have to take 4 different pieces of metal and attach them to each 4 sides of the frame or do I make one piece that wraps around the frame and leave one side open to get it around the frame and then just weld that one side shut?

If Anybody has closeup pictures on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
if you're an experianced welder you wont need a jig even thou it's good to have one. and you cut out 1 plate for each side...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't want to sound stupid, but I'm new to all this frame stuff, what is a Jig and how do I make one? I want to do the frame myself, but I don't want to screw it up either. IF anyone has pictures to better show me that would be great. I know I have to do the frame, and the spring pockets and the a arms, what else needs reinforced? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by ThumperCR@Dec 1 2003, 08:40 AM
I don't want to sound stupid, but I'm new to all this frame stuff, what is a Jig and how do I make one? I want to do the frame myself, but I don't want to screw it up either. IF anyone has pictures to better show me that would be great. I know I have to do the frame, and the spring pockets and the a arms, what else needs reinforced? Thanks for all the help.
a jig is something that you put on the frame that holds it straight so it wont get crooked from the welding heat. a frame to hold the frame kinda...
the most fragile spots on a frame is the rearhumps and the crossmember along with the springtowers...

go here for all the wraped framepics:
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?a...14e9d0749e5ed06 ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts