LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't got to this stage yet, but I'm planning ahead:

To remove the front coil springs (GM A-arm set up), do I simply use spring compressors to wind down the spring, then undo the top steering balljoint for clearance to get the springs out?

The rears look quite easy (axle/trailing arm suspension). It looks like a simple spring compressor job to lift them straight out.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
how I did mine, not necessarily correct, but..

front:
car on jackstands, jack under lower arm..
chain through spring and onto frame..
remove ball joint nuts, use pickle fork to bust ball joints loose..
lower jack slowly while keeping face away from spring...
when spring seems decompressed, push lower a-arm all the way down, spring should fall out..
move to next side

rear:
car on jackstands, jack under lower arm..
remove shock, lower jack, spring falls out on hand
run into hose, run cold water on hand, apply pressure..
install band-aid and move onto other side

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Nov 4 2003, 05:15 PM
..... spring falls out on hand
run into hose, run cold water on hand, apply pressure..
install band-aid and move onto other side
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Okay, I might give that a try! :biggrin:

I presume that the pickle fork you are referring to isn't the same as the one I'm thinking of. The one I've got is used for removing preserved vegetables from storage jars.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! :cheesy:

I did try one of those once before, but it broke the jar and I got onions all over the floor! :biggrin:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Nov 4 2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks! :cheesy:

I did try one of those once before, but it broke the jar and I got onions all over the floor! :biggrin:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
in my experience you are better off getting two pickle forks of different sizes ususally the med and large then using this thing, i have broken 2 of them trying to get ball joints to brake loose, what happens is the metal handle that threads into the forke gets loose whate you are hitting it with a hammer and it strips the threads

pickle forks are cheep anyways

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have actually got a tool very similar to those. It has the same end, but the other end is like the head of a chisel, so you hammer it in to separate the joint. It works quite well.

I used to have a ball joint splitter where you had to tighten a bolt onto the ball joint to separate it, but I broke the tool, which I was quite pleased about because the man in the shop said he had never heard of anyone else breaking one of those tools! :cool:

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 5 2003, 10:00 PM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts