LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok to use a wirewheel to remove paint on the outside of the car? i noticed it takes it off fast and leaves the metal very smooth..so is it ok to do the whole car like this?

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
depends, could get hot and wave the shit out of your panels, i wouldnt do it on anything but underneith or the door jambs

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by DEAD PRE$IDENT$@Nov 30 2008, 12:35 PM~12294315
depends, could get hot and wave the shit out of your panels, i wouldnt do it on anything but underneith or the door jambs
Or on a rusted area...

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
i use 7 inch grinding disc. works fine for me. its like 16 bucks at home depot and like 1.99 per grinding disc

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was using sanding disks but then i noticed it was leaving gashes in the metal here and there and its hard to not push to hard and leave marks in the metal..so i switched to wirewheel and this coral looking sanding disk

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Originally posted by 87blazer@Dec 1 2008, 01:03 PM~12302713
air craft paint remover is the way to go

No its not ............. You people need to shut teh fuck up & stop promoting that dumb ass thought of using stripper unless you can gaurantee that you can remove it all before you start -- Oitherwise problems arise later on .........

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Dec 1 2008, 10:11 PM~12308566
i was using sanding disks but then i noticed it was leaving gashes in the metal here and there and its hard to not push to hard and leave marks in the metal..so i switched to wirewheel and this coral looking sanding disk

The gouges are ok - Ot leaves something for the primers to bite on .......... You dont want to just use a wire wheel & them primer over that because it will flake off down the road because of the lack of adhesion

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
WAT ABOUT THE 3M WHEELS THAT LOOK LIKE SCOTCH PADS FOR THE GRINDER TO TAKE OF THE PAINT QUICK THEN JUST SKIM, THEN BLOCK

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Dec 2 2008, 10:45 PM~12320637
WAT ABOUT THE 3M WHEELS THAT LOOK LIKE SCOTCH PADS FOR THE GRINDER TO TAKE OF THE PAINT QUICK THEN JUST SKIM, THEN BLOCK
thats what i been usin after i saw what the sanding disks were doing the 3m wheels are more forgiving and don't get into the metal unless u really lean on it..i did a quarter panel like that then primered it and it came out looking good and feeling hella smooth. i wet sanded it down and it felt like a factory paint job..only thing is it takes time..and that grinder is loud as fuck ha ha..but i guess if i do my who car like this i will know for a fact its rust free.

·
Registered
19,959 Posts
Originally posted by BlueBerry@Dec 2 2008, 09:12 PM~12319591
No its not ............. You people need to shut teh fuck up & stop promoting that dumb ass thought of using stripper unless you can gaurantee that you can remove it all before you start -- Oitherwise problems arise later on .........
As much of an oxymoran it is dont you wash it off with water???? or is there something else you can/should use to clean aircraft stripper off???

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after sanding i just wipe the car down with a dry rag...water is a no no on bare metal

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i still need to get an air compressor so i can use my da..i doubt it takes it down to the metal like the 3m pad though or at least not as quick

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Dec 6 2008, 11:16 AM~12352756
after sanding i just wipe the car down with a dry rag...water is a no no on bare metal
you aint using wax and grease remover or some other kind of precleaner?

dry rags dont work that great. usually you can wipe something down with a dry rag and you think everything is proper, then come back with a precleaner and the rag will come off black.... just saying.

what kind of primer you using? lacquer, 2k, epoxy?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
before i primer i will wipe the car down real good with a cleaner.
for now i'm just wipin the metal down with a cotton rag to get alot of the metal dust and paint dust off..I'm getting tired of working with this 3m sanding disk..if i use aircraft paint stripper will it take this car down to baremetal??

·
que..
12,562 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Dec 7 2008, 06:49 PM~12361740
for now i'm just wipin the metal down with a cotton rag to get alot of the metal dust and paint dust off..
Should be tack-clothin that bitch :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
so the disk doesnt work that fast or wat how long to take the paint off like half the car

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Originally posted by capone530@Dec 7 2008, 05:49 PM~12361740
for now i'm just wipin the metal down with a cotton rag to get alot of the metal dust and paint dust off..I'm getting tired of working with this 3m sanding disk..if i use aircraft paint stripper will it take this car down to baremetal??
yes it will take it down to metal i did it :thumbsup:
just make sure you clean the car off really good when you are done and wash your hands off really good because that shit burns also dont use it on plastic bumpers or fillers just metal

1 - 20 of 28 Posts