LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the stock air cleaner "box" on my buick 307 V8 with a nice chrome open element filter. I noticed that inside where the filter sits has a little sensor witha vacuum line that goes to some sort of valve that sits next to the carb. Can i just plug the hole in the valve where and toss the hose along with the sensor away? What about the hose(about 1" diameter) that comes out on the passenger side and goes to what looks to be an air pump? What do i do with that? and last, what about the heat riser valve that in the intake tube, just toss that too?

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No inspections in ILLinois, just emissions testing. Why would the check engine light come on, from eliminting the heat riser valve or the little plastic on inside the air box?
(my check engine light comes on most of the time whenever the car is at idle or i slow down to a stop from 40mph or more anyways though)

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
why dont u disconnect each hose seperatly and if the car sounds different or the engine's rpms change then dont do it

but if nuthin happends then go for it

i dont have shit connected to mine not even the computer but my car is a p.o.s

just try what i told u and let me know

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car sounds fine with the whole air box off the car (just did some new valve covers so i ran it with the box off to make sure there weren't any leaks). I just want to find out where to hook the hose from the airpump too and see if i "need" that plastic sensor in the airbox and what to do with the vacuum line from that sensor if i can get rid of it too.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by sleepy526@Sep 11 2005, 03:04 AM~3791153
why dont u disconnect each hose seperatly and if the car sounds different or the engine's rpms change then dont do it

but if nuthin happends then go for it

i dont have shit connected to mine not even the computer but my car is a p.o.s

just try what i told u and let me know
or maybe you can get off your ass, pick up a book, and figure uot what it does- then maybe you can decide for yourself what the sensor might or might not do?

:dunno:

just an idea. "just try what i say and let me know" :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh:

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 11 2005, 07:08 PM~3794498
or maybe you can get off your ass, pick up a book, and figure uot what it does- then maybe you can decide for yourself what the sensor might or might not do?
:dunno:

just an idea.  "just try what i say and let me know" :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh:

:uh:

SEND ME A BOOK THEN ;)

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 11 2005, 08:58 PM~3795071
5 bucks plus shipping.  pm me an address.

i have chilton books already

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i can't find anything in the book that says what the plastic sensor thing is that inside the air cleaner assembly.

Also, since the hose from the heat stove to the heat riser valve isn't there, the valve is kind of pointless. ANyone know what the sensor is called or what it does?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by sleepy526@Sep 12 2005, 12:56 AM~3795688
i have chilton books already
chiltons is fuckign worthless.

im talking about a book straight from gm with diagnostic information that goes into depth about how the engine management system functions.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Actually, there are some chrome air cleaners that have the hose connections undernieth so you won't lose the functionality of the vacuum line and the breather line. You just have to change the larger hose. As far as the heat riser, you will have to just leave that off and have a harder time starting your car in the winter. :biggrin:

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But where do i put that larger hose that comes from the air pump thing? and the car shouldn't be harder to start, just a little rough idle until it gets warmed up in the winter, right? I mean, it isn't heating anything until the cars running anyways so that shouldn't be a problem at all. Do you happen to know which filters still retain those factory connections on the bottom?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts