LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the brake line for the rear passenger wheel has a hole in it in my 82 coupe deville.
i need to replace it but was wondering if anyone has any specific hints or tips about replacing a brake line. ive never done it before, but im going to do it myself.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
1st thing, go get a nice set of line wrenches, combinations ones will just round of the fittings

unscrew the line at both ends and undo all the clamps..once you got it out measure it and go get new line from the parts store. you will have to put 2 lines together with a coupler if its long. then if you already have a bender just bend the line using the the old one as a guide. its easy. bleed the brakes and check for leaks too :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you said if its long, get two lines and coupler to make the distance. if this is the hole in my brake line, can i just remove from here to the wheel and then get a couple and put a new piece back in? or should i just do the whole brake line over?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Kartoon@Nov 16 2003, 12:00 PM
you said if its long, get two lines and coupler to make the distance. if this is the hole in my brake line, can i just remove from here to the wheel and then get a couple and put a new piece back in? or should i just do the whole brake line over?

it might be hard because of the curves, but i think that you should be able to do it that way :) You may have to straighten it out where you couple it so that it lines up right.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
damn, that line is real short anyway, just replace the whole thing..

why risk your life over 5 dollars worth of brakeline and 20 minutes worth of work?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
One helpful hint when removing brake lines and hoses is to unscrew the brake fluid reservoir cap and put a plastic bag (or similar) over the opening and screw the cap back on. This blocks off the breather hole and will stop brake fluid running everywhere when you undo the line.

Make sure you bleed the brakes in the correct order once you have everything back together. You'll have to look this up in the workshop manual for your car because it does vary depending on the braking system.

I like the look of the exhaust system on the car in the picture above! Just the type I really like :biggrin: !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts