LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good online tutorials or quick synopsis on replacing these on a g-body?

whats to be expected, tools required, how much for the damn things.. etc etc..

shop around the corner is asking 60 labor, 40 per joint..
i was like... uh. NO.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by LD0GG@Sep 16 2003, 09:28 AM
don't you need a vise to for the job?
No, to get the old ones out just put a socket on the end and take a hammer and beat it one way then beat it the other and it should come out. That is the hardest part but, very easy to do.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
I had to do it remove the u-joints twice Saturday. :0 :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by Crazy Cutty at Sep 16 2003, 11:44 AM

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why did you change em? What did you notice or hear from your car that made you wanna change em?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
unusuall clanking, donging, or bad vibrations at freeway speeds. On my 72 monte it would clank everytime I put it in drive. And it had a pretty bad vibration at 65mph and got worse above that. Turned out that the rear u joint was toast. I was lucky cause 2 bearings on both sides no longer had any needle pins anymore. Get lifetime ones from autozone. They have them both in sealed and ones with zerk fittings to pressure grease. The sealed lifetime ones are ok. They cost around $15. They will most likely ask you if your driveshaft is steel or aluminum. I guess there are different ones for these.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
you all forgot one step

dont forget to put a mark on one side of the yoke and the drive shaft to make sure you put it back together the same way. some times but not always if you put it together the wrong way you will get a little vibration

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i would pick up a haynes repair manual for your type of car........and follow that...........

by the way anyone wanna trade a regal repair manual for a monte carlo repair manual?????

i used to have a monte but i sold it awhile ago and bought a regal recently..........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts