LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, me and my boss are restoring a 64 ss. we have the body off the chassis. and everything is powercoated black. we are starting to put the steering back together and were running into problems with the center link. we have one, that is allready powercoated. but for the life of us, we cannot get it to work. when we hook up the tie rod ends to the center link. it wont line up. it makes the joints almost rub the frame.

number #16 it the one im talking about. it will not hook up. does anyone have a picture of the center link, by its self. im thinking the one we have is bent. we got the car and it was in boxes. ill try and get pics later today. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
Post pics of the parts. Might be bent but not the only solution. Did you try sizing the tie rods to make fit? Sometimes compressing the springs helps in some instances. Not exact on the details so not sure what parts are not fitting. Can't really see the pic shown on my phone. But if I get home early enough I'll drop some more input

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dude - The picture is for a 65 and up and you have a 64. The 64 and down is a totally different steering setup (front steer) than the 65 (rear steer). You may have it installed upside down. Without seeing it, I can't really tell. All I know is this is the wrong picture for your car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
joe64ss. thanks i just realized that. but i got pics anyway. so fuck the drawing..lol

ill put these up in a sec

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok heres what im talking about.

heres the center linkage:

this is what we cannot get hooked up at all. here more pics that show how close it is when i have that "linkage arm" hooked up

it has to be eithwer bent or just the wrong arm. we got this car as a pile of bolts and all in boxes

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by skipztt@Oct 29 2007, 09:36 PM~9108390
when we hook up the tie rod ends to the center link. it wont line up. it makes the joints almost rub the frame.

key word is almost ..as the car turns either direction the center link moves away from the cross member

chasis looks good

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on the 2nd to last pick. thats how close the tie rods get to the frame . and thats not even bolted up all the way. it impossible for us to bolt it up completely. i can almost get it to but the wheels are so far out of whack, it cant be right.

oh yeah that chassis is realllllly dirty. it looks way better in person also.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Is this a 605 conversion or is this a manual steering car with the original drag link?

Looks like it may be on backwards. Swap ends and see if that helps. It also looks like you might have changed the drag link and the pitman arm (the one on the steering box).

Please mention any mods that have been done se we can help better.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we have tried every which way possible on this thing. as far as i know its a orginal manual steering car. what is a 605 conversion?

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
tie rods look like they need to tightened. I have very little thread showing my outer tie-rods. Also the tie rod will come CLOSE to hitting the frame. Untill I got everything lined up and bolted in TIGHLY my tie rod (in that same spot) scratched the paint off my frame when we were turning the wheels and moving the car.

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
Originally posted by TRUDAWG@Oct 31 2007, 02:59 AM~9120740
tie rods look like they need to tightened. I have very little  thread showing my outer tie-rods. Also the tie rod will come CLOSE to hitting the frame. Untill I got everything lined up and bolted in TIGHLY my tie rod (in that same spot) scratched the paint off my frame when we were turning the wheels and moving the car.
:cool:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Originally posted by TRUDAWG@Oct 31 2007, 02:59 AM~9120740
tie rods look like they need to tightened. I have very little  thread showing my outer tie-rods. Also the tie rod will come CLOSE to hitting the frame. Untill I got everything lined up and bolted in TIGHLY my tie rod (in that same spot) scratched the paint off my frame when we were turning the wheels and moving the car.
This seems like it may be the prob homie

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok. il try and tighten up everything and see whats going on. ill let ya all know what happens

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
BTW - Bolt up the center link first and make sure that is stright, then work on the tie rods.

That is the easier way to do what you are doing. And if you say "well I don't have enough room to put the tie rods in after that" then you need to turn the steering until it clears the frame and you do have the room for each side.

·
Registered
28,032 Posts
Originally posted by joe64ss@Nov 1 2007, 07:50 AM~9129203
BTW - Bolt up the center link first and make sure that is stright, then work on the tie rods.

That is the easier way to do what you are doing. And if you say "well I don't have enough room to put the tie rods in after that" then you need to turn the steering until it clears the frame and you do have the room for each side.
:cool:

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
heres another question why is some of the parts not painted .. you asking for rust on steering box idler arm and tie rods

1 - 20 of 23 Posts