LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i know theres been a few topics like this but they never really get answered, I'm just looking for a few opinions.

I'm getting a 89 2WD S10 Blazer w/ 1 pump hydros w/ 8" cylenders all around, the rear cylenders w/ be mounted to the leaf springs using a similar techniqe as listed on this sites main page in the tech area.

My question is:

IS THE RIDE OBNOXIOUSLY BAD W/ Juice? i mean like untollerable for city/daily driving? or is it just a lil rough?

Like if i go over a curb, will i need my head reattached to my neck? lol. seriously tho, How bad is the ride, and wil the leaf springs help w/ the ride comfort ? I Mean i aint lookin for stock caddy ride comfort, but i don't want parts fallin off my truck if i go over a speed bump or whatever, lol.

Opinions? I can't afford accumulators yet- so ill have to deal w/ it either way but i wanna know what to expect.

Mike

·
Registered
265 Posts
it depends on ur springs ,if u have shocks,ect...
but no its not that bad

and dont run over curbs with a low low thats night right

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL i know curbs suck even w/ my stock heigh/suspension blazer. but u know, sometimes them fuckers sneak up on ya that's why i said "IF" :biggrin: plus sometimes potholes and stuff wanna bust yer balls so i just wanna know what to expect.

Like if i go over a speed bump quicker then normal, am i gunna die? lol

You can have shocks w/ dros? I didn't know that? wouldn't that effect the speed and height/drop you would get? i never knew u could have shocks w/ dros?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Leave your shocks on the rear. That will make a big difference right there. Do a coil over setup and monoleaf the back. You can take your factory coils and cut a few turns off for the back if you need too. Run soft springs and your ride will actually be nice. Make sure you slowdown over the speed bumps though. To answer your question as to how tolerable it is to have a daily with juice...I have a Cutlass for a daily and I don't have either sway bars or shocks on it. 3.5 tons front and 2 rear. It doesn't ride like my Caddy but, it isn't as bad as people think. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, I just have a few questions.

U can leave the stock Shock on the back and it will still juice up and drop normally yet it will have a better ride than w/o shocks?

Mono leaf, what's that mean? the guy who im buying it off is installing the dros, he has a few juiced rides so he knows wat hes doin i guess, but what should i tell him, since i want a softer ride?

he said he's

Going to weld the cups to the coils, is this good? the truck previously had a 5/6" drop so the front coils probably have been clipped pretty low cuz in the front it sits really low.

so i tell him to keep the rear shocks on, then what?

what should i tell him to do so i can get the most comfortable ride?

I just never heard of that, that kicks ass if i can get a softer ride w/o accumulators tho.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
1. Yes you can leave the rear shocks on with hydraulics. It will slow the rear setup down a little but, so will accums.
2. Monoleaf is basically where you take all the leafs off the back leaf springs except for the main one and the little helper one.
3. Don't let him weld the cups to the coils cause it weakens the coils and they could break. You shouldn't have a problem with the coils wanting to come out. So don't let him do it.
4. Tell him to leave the shocks on. Although you might want to get some longer shocks so that you don't have any problems of trying to over extend them when your raising up the rear.

P.S. Your shocks will wear out a little faster than normal. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey heres what I would do:

1) Get some really good Slowdown valves

2) Put accumulators on your pumps

3)Leave the shocks on the rear end

4) Make sure your Spring tonage is good for the car

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by Individuals 85@Dec 31 2003, 08:02 AM
Hey heres what I would do:

1) Get some really good Slowdown valves

2) Put accumulators on your pumps

3)Leave the shocks on the rear end

4) Make sure your Spring tonage is good for the car
From the way he was talking he didn't have the money for anything right now. ;)

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
the ride in my towncar isnt all that bad...and thats with 2 tons all around...

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so leave the rear shock on, and remove all but the main and lil spring, wouldn't this make the ride shittier tho i mean aren't the springs for making the ride softer? will it sit lower if i remove all that?

and the rear and front hydro cylenders are only 8" so u think stock shocks will extend to that so i don't have to buy longer ones?

and, how would that weaken the spring/cup thing ? truck IS NOT A HOPPER lol its only gunna be single pump, so u think it will be okay like that, wont the spring like pop out if it isn't secured in place? If he welds it and my truck isn't a hopper and is just used for F/B/S/S, mosty up and down, will it be better that way? If the spring pops out ill have no idea what to do thats why, lol.

I know im asking alot, but i'm pretty new to this so i appreciate the help.

BTW: Correct about not having enough $$ right now, because i'm buying the truck and it isn't cheap at all, plus i'm going to get a new system and shit so Nope, don't have enuff $$ for shit like that, accums are like $300 aren't they? i'll buy a $3 walmart jumbo pillow and put it on my fukin seat b4 i spend $300 lol. :biggrin:

hows the ride on the highway, like when switching lanes and stuff, when you switch lanes does it shift from side to side and stuff?

BTW, Random question, anyone have any pics of s10/blazers or cars juiced up w/ 8" cylenderS? I just wanna see how high ill get

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by SDimeBlazin@Dec 31 2003, 01:05 PM
Okay, so leave the rear shock on, and remove all but the main and lil spring, wouldn't this make the ride shittier tho i mean aren't the springs for making the ride softer? will it sit lower if i remove all that?

and the rear and front hydro cylenders are only 8" so u think stock shocks will extend to that so i don't have to buy longer ones?

and, how would that weaken the spring/cup thing ? truck IS NOT A HOPPER lol its only gunna be single pump, so u think it will be okay like that, wont the spring like pop out if it isn't secured in place? If he welds it and my truck isn't a hopper and is just used for F/B/S/S, mosty up and down, will it be better that way? If the spring pops out ill have no idea what to do thats why, lol.

I know im asking alot, but i'm pretty new to this so i appreciate the help.

BTW: Correct about not having enough $$ right now, because i'm buying the truck and it isn't cheap at all, plus i'm going to get a new system and shit so Nope, don't have enuff $$ for shit like that, accums are like $300 aren't they? i'll buy a $3 walmart jumbo pillow and put it on my fukin seat b4 i spend $300 lol. :biggrin:

hows the ride on the highway, like when switching lanes and stuff, when you switch lanes does it shift from side to side and stuff?

BTW, Random question, anyone have any pics of s10/blazers or cars juiced up w/ 8" cylenderS? I just wanna see how high ill get
You need to take some of the leafs out to let the truck sit lower. It will make it ride worse but, that is something that you really need to do.
The most you will get out of your leafs is about 10" of lift so, the 8" will be fine.
The heat from welding the spring will make it weaker. You shouldn't have any problems with the spring coming out. As long as you use soft springs and leave the shocks on then it will ride great. Just don't drive with it all the way locked up or all the way dropped.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool, told the guy- everything is set.

Now, few final Qs, cause i'm full of questions :biggrin:

What do you do if you're far from home, like a few miles and you break something, or get a leak or w/e ? can you still drive a few miles safe w/ the truck laying hard on the axel or w/e it sits on when it's busted and drained and shyt or will that fuk stuff up even further, you said not to drive all the way dumped in a another topic, so what would i do in that situation, is it okay to drive home all the way dumped just for a few miles if i HAD to ? just want to prepair because i know in my first year of juice i'm probably going to have a few ordeals like that.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by SDimeBlazin@Jan 7 2004, 05:49 AM
cool, told the guy- everything is set.

Now, few final Qs, cause i'm full of questions :biggrin:

What do you do if you're far from home, like a few miles and you break something, or get a leak or w/e ? can you still drive a few miles safe w/ the truck laying hard on the axel or w/e it sits on when it's busted and drained and shyt or will that fuk stuff up even further, you said not to drive all the way dumped in a another topic, so what would i do in that situation, is it okay to drive home all the way dumped just for a few miles if i HAD to ?     just want to prepair because i know in my first year of juice i'm probably going to have a few ordeals like that.
Preventive maintenance is key. Everything that would typically break/leak you need to change before it happens. Change orings on a regular basis and check bolts, etc on a regular basis. Also keep the tools and spare orings/back-up rings that you might need in the car with you. That way when you're travelling several hundred miles from home, you're prepared for most common mishaps.

As far as "limping" home. I think we've all done it at some point. It depends on what the problem is whether or not you'll be able to limp home. Best thing to do is make sure your insurance company will reimburse you for tows (it should be under comprehensive) if not, go ahead and join AAA. It's best to go ahead and cut that check than worry yourself to death about having left your car on the side of the road somewhere last night.

Last edited by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS at Jan 7 2004, 08:41 AM

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
i keep a tool box in my trunk with spare noids, some hose , basic tools....and some oil is back there too i think...

·
Registered
970 Posts
ok heres my opinions...in the back your gonna have to remove the most of the leafs from theoriganal springs but they will no longer act as springs,but a mount for your axle removing the leafs will give it flexability..u must run coilover setups on topof your cyls in back.this is where your spring action will come from then..use you factory front coils on the rear coilover set up and leave your factory shocks on the back as well...far as the front goes dont weld the springs to the cups ...bad move...the wait of your car and gravity will keep the front coils from fallin outif u run 2-3 batts u can use factory front springs ..which is not good for hydroe performance..but your ride will b decent..if u want try and relocate the front shocks up front it will help as well...goodluck..

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kapton, good info there- just got some questions:

coil over setup in rear you said, i don't understand, how can i do coilover when there is no rear coil springs, rather there is leaf springs, you can do coil over like that too? when i think of coils, i think of the front springs, my main concern is with the back setup.

The dude is using a similar install to this image (this image is from the tech area of this site) is this a good method?

and if i do the mono-leaf and shit, w/ 8" cylenders mounted like that, w/ a C-notch/bumpstops removed. about how low will i get ? will i be able to lay close to frame? the truck has a 6/5" drop or 4/5", 5/5" somthin like that, it's really low in the front, but the rear is too high for my liking, will that be the lowest i can get w/ juice ? heres a pic of the truck w/o juice, just lowered. will i get lower in the back w/ that method?

and about the front, the front coil spring has obviously been chopped, (look how low it is), so when i juice UP and drive, or drive at stock height on the highway and stuff, wont the spring have a good chance of falling out since it is so much shorter than it was when it was stock ? what should i do, or is it okay to use this coil even tho turns have been cut off it? it wont fall out?

this truck isn't even 100% mine yet, once i work out exactly how i want the hydros, i'm going to pay for the truck- so i want everything to be perfect!

Last edited by SDimeBlazin at Jan 8 2004, 05:57 AM

1 - 20 of 36 Posts