LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haynes book says tighten them till theres no play in the rocker arm, and then tighten 3/4 of a turn,.. just wondering if theres a recommended torque for them......

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
you also have to do it with the valves closed.

When I do it, i just start up the engine, loosen it until it clacks, tighten it until it goes away, then another half a turn and call it a day. This is the best way for me to adjust valve lash, because i seem to be doing it so often. when i was looking up how to do it, i looked in the gm manual, and they suggest a way of doing 8 with the number 1 at tdc, and then the remaining at number 6 tdc. i always forget the order tho, so i end up doing it with the engine running.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 7 2005, 10:44 AM~3555836

When I do it, i just start up the engine, loosen it until it clacks, tighten it until it goes away, then another half a turn and call it a day.  This is the best way for me to adjust valve lash, because i seem to be doing it so often.  when i was looking up how to do it, i looked in the gm manual, and they suggest a way of doing 8 with the number 1 at tdc, and then the remaining at number 6 tdc.  i always forget the order tho, so i end up doing it with the engine running.
you tighten both sides at once??

oil doesnt spit out????

thanks.. sounds like ill be doing this tomorrow afternoon...... :cool:

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Aug 7 2005, 07:16 PM~3556833
you tighten both sides at once??

oil doesnt spit out????
thanks.. sounds like ill be doing this tomorrow afternoon...... :cool:
yes, oil will spill out. they make clips etc. but its not an issue unless your deciding to rev it. i leave one valve cover on at a time just so that it makes ess of a mess.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 7 2005, 08:44 PM~3557643
yes, oil will spill out.  they make clips etc.  but its not an issue unless your deciding to rev it.  i leave one valve cover on at a time just so that it makes ess of a mess.
thanks...

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 7 2005, 10:44 AM~3555836

When I do it, i just start up the engine, loosen it until it clacks, tighten it until it goes away, then another half a turn and call it a day.  This is the best way for me to adjust valve lash, because i seem to be doing it so often.  when i was looking up how to do it, i looked in the gm manual, and they suggest a way of doing 8 with the number 1 at tdc, and then the remaining at number 6 tdc.  i always forget the order tho, so i end up doing it with the engine running.

I was just skimming through and read the part I bolded. Why are you adjusting it so often? I'm guessing it isn't a new motor but rather something that is just getting worse over time.

The way to do it is to put the cylinder at TDC. You must turn the crank so that each piston is at TDC when you do this, that way there's no tension on the lifter. Its really easy to do if you start with 1, then move in the firing order (18436572)

Then spin the pushrod in your finger and tighten until it JUST doesn't spin freely. Once there, you can tighten 3/4 turn more and it will be set. It puts a slight pre-load on the hydraulic lifter, usually enough to keep noise from happening for 10s of thousands of miles. The way you are doing it is usually used with mechanical lifters more then hydraulic in order to get the extra "slap" out of them :)

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 8 2005, 01:54 PM~3560622
I was just skimming through and read the part I bolded. Why are you adjusting it so often? I'm guessing it isn't a new motor but rather something that is just getting worse over time.

The way to do it is to put the cylinder at TDC. You must turn the crank so that each piston is at TDC when you do this, that way there's no tension on the lifter. Its really easy to do if you start with 1, then move in the firing order (18436572)

Then spin the pushrod in your finger and tighten until it JUST doesn't spin freely. Once there, you can tighten 3/4 turn more and it will be set. It puts a slight pre-load on the hydraulic lifter, usually enough to keep noise from happening for 10s of thousands of miles. The way you are doing it is usually used with mechanical lifters more then hydraulic in order to get the extra "slap" out of them :)
nah, ive just been messing aroudn with my motor alot lately.

·
Banned
14,534 Posts
I got the same damn problem. Motor was totally rebuilt, doesn't even have 700 miles on it. You can here the clacking when it gets to a certain rpm then goes away. I was told that it's a loose rocker but who know's. :uh:

·
Registered
796 Posts
"im assuming your bitch ass dont got sack enough to build a real escalade, so you had to go out and buy a kit.......fuckin arts and craft.... nice steering wheel" Eazynobslobber.........Im ridin big hoe i got sack....oh yeah..I GOT SAAAAACK!

Attachments

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by thick1@Aug 20 2005, 02:21 AM~3661258
"im assuming your bitch ass dont got sack enough to build a real escalade, so you had to go out and buy a kit.......fuckin arts and craft.... nice steering wheel" Eazynobslobber.........Im ridin big hoe i got sack....oh yeah..I GOT SAAAAACK!
:thumbsup:

congratulations...............
that was a long ass time ago, glad you kept me on your mind for so long..............

(i dont take any of that back, you had a (gmc??) with an escalade clip, and a stock steering wheel...... it would've at least looked better if you'd put more time into it.......

but like i said, congratulations... nice caddy (ive owned a few), no escalades though...... ;) :cool:

edit:
1- are they both yours?
2- should've put some nicer rims on it... lexanis right??(i can't say they're "cheap", but, i can say that if you were spending big, you probably wouldn't have put them on that car.....) ;)

but like i said, congratulations, nice caddy..

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by thick1@Aug 20 2005, 01:21 AM~3661258
That was uncalled for :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: you got some pent up anger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts