LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys on my last oil change I switched to senthetic oil on my 2003 S-10 and my engine didnt leak before. After a while it cause realy small oil leaks that no big deal but has anyone had this problem with like this before. Today I did an oil change and went with Castrol Syntic see if it makes a difference my truck over 100,000 but works great and it does not burn oil yet.
 

·
409
Joined
·
18,283 Posts
Yes, synthetic oil can cause leaks. In an engine like yours with 100k miles, stick with conventional oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Ragtop Ted@Jan 24 2010, 10:08 PM~16399211
Yes, synthetic oil can cause leaks.  In an engine like yours with 100k miles, stick with conventional oil.
Mine leaks a drop not so often but I have heard that if you switch to full senthetic you cannot go back to conventional oil is this true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Jan 27 2010, 06:53 PM~16434138
I heard that the royal purple oil will actualy increase horse power. I was thinking about switching to that in my silverado daily. But it's got over 100k. Will it cause leaks. I'm already running synthetic
i used it in my bigbody which had 105k miles and it increased horsepower and didnt leak at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
seriously guys, come on oil is oil....................

It does not increase horsepower.

I really doubt that synthetic will make a car leak. All seals get worn out eventually. if this were true then you could switch back to conventional oil and it should quit leaking.

Have you even looked under the car to see where its leaking from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by tearitup@Jan 28 2010, 08:59 AM~16438867
seriously guys, come on oil is oil....................

It does not increase horsepower.

I really doubt that synthetic will make a car leak. All seals get worn out eventually. if this were true then you could switch back to conventional oil and it should quit leaking.

Have you even looked under the car to see where its leaking from.
Thats what I thought... But my bro-in-law said he watched an episode of horsepower tv or some shit. They dyno tested som car b4 and after an oil change. He said the guy on the show was acting all skeptical too like oil is oil. Then after the dyno he was all suprised that it gained 5 hp. I'm probly gonna switch. I just don't know about a $100. Oil change
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,612 Posts
well if you think about it. If it increases hp just from lubrication. Then it has to be reducing friction and wear as well and running more efficiantly which gives better gas milage. So increased power + less wear onthe motor+ it has to be saving fuel as well. Kinda evens out in my mind. Plus I always lag on my oil changes. So that expensive oil will probly go along way for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plus Senthetic Oil lasts twice as long with conventional oil you need to change oil every 3000 miles and with senthetic is every 5000 to 6000 miles. I rather spend more on the senthetic it makes sence to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Jan 28 2010, 07:48 PM~16445889
well if you think about it. If it increases hp just from lubrication. Then it has to be reducing friction and wear as well and running more efficiantly which gives better gas milage.  So increased power + less wear onthe motor+ it has to be saving fuel as well. Kinda evens out in my mind. Plus I always lag on my oil changes. So that expensive oil will probly go along way for me.
yup it saved me on gas in my bigbody and i did feel a difference in the gas pedal so the $100 is definatley worth it :cool:
 

·
409
Joined
·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Jan 29 2010, 01:43 PM~16453061
Good topic... Something that I've been debating in my mind for awhile now. Pretty much made up my mind to try it next oil change. ( which is already overdue... LOL)
Yup. Good topic. :biggrin:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top