LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
dont call up a guy and front like you have money
dont go look at a car if you dont have money
dont think about buying a car if you dont have money!!!!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
take a magnet with you to check the body, magnets dont stick to bondo, also pull the dipstick and check to see what the oil is like, ifs its black then the previous owner did not take care of it, also if it smells old the car probably has not run for a while, on G bodys ALWAYS check the rear frame rails, electical problems are nightmares, so if one brake light comes on and the front marker lights flash when u step on the brake, u have wirering problems, or if the car only starts when the left signal light is on (my buddys car did that) other than that test drive it and check all the gears, turn both left and right, check for any major leaks, wiggle the front tires with your hands, if there is considerate play then it needs new kingpins, just simple stuff like that

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Also, if buying an older car (80s or earlier) try to meet up with the person selling it BEFORE he starts it. For example, if the car is in a parking lot somewhere be sure to get there before the owner so you can see how it starts after sitting for a couple days. IT can be decieving when you show up and the car is already running, or he's already let it warm up. Its nice to see if it smokes when first started, or has any engine noise etc.....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I Once Stopped To Check Out A Cutlass Down The Street From My House. The Guy Told Me It Had A New Battery And He Changed The Oil Like 2 Days Before. So I Popped The Hood And Checked The Oil And It Was Black And Missin A Quart. I Went To Try And Turn It On And The Battery Was Dead. It Was Rusted All Over.And When I Turned It On It Was Knockin Like Hell. I Tried To Drive It Down The Street But About 30 Feet From The Driveway It Died. That Car Was Terrible. He Quickly Went From Wanting $1300 To $500. I Told Him To Take That Car To The Junkyard Where It Belongs And Left. He Was Fuckin Pissed.

About The Only Thing Taken Care Of Was The Interior On That Car.

The Rest Was :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I'm buying a used car I act like I don't really give a damn if I get it or not. If the person selling the car sees that your interested he may not go down on the price. :0

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Dec 12 2003, 06:27 AM
Also, if buying an older car (80s or earlier) try to meet up with the person selling it BEFORE he starts it. For example, if the car is in a parking lot somewhere be sure to get there before the owner so you can see how it starts after sitting for a couple days. IT can be decieving when you show up and the car is already running, or he's already let it warm up. Its nice to see if it smokes when first started, or has any engine noise etc.....
hehe, im guilty of scaming a guy...when i sold my 79 impala i would go start it like 10 min before someone would come look at so it would fire right up :biggrin:

·
Registered
25,983 Posts
What I like too do is run a reverse lookup on there phone number and get the address, then I can roll by and scope it out. If i like it I will call from around the corner, then when they say their location, I bust out with oh really i am 2 blocks from there can I come look at it. That way the don't have time too pull no funny shit.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Depending on the car, I always look at the brake pedal. If it's original it should match up with the mileage. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can't think of what else, but I used to have a list.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix@Dec 11 2003, 07:35 PM
dont call up a guy and front like you have money
dont go look at a car if you dont have money
dont think about buying a car if you dont have money!!!!!!
All I want to do is say that shit is real as it comes!!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Look for ANYTHING NEW body part wise.....new core support, radiator..etc. anything that might tell you there's something wrong. Also, if it is really cheap, ask why....The tip about acting like you are not interested can work, and it is a good one....it will let you know if the guy is hurting to sell it or not...Ask him for the bottom dollar on it, and go"Whoo Weee!!!, I don't know..thank you for your time though!!!"...Nine times out of ten...if he needs to come off of it he will be like.."Well what can you do.."..Remember start from the BOTTOM when offering on a car...if he wants 4500 for it..tell him you've got 3200...see what he says...do it politely though..don't just say"Well all that shit is worth to me is 3200", he might get offended...make him think that 3200 is all of your savings PLUS you are going to sell your watch that your Great-Grandfather gave to you to get it....he will be more understanding...Another good thing to ask is do this, say"Man, you have had this for sale for awhile, huh?"..that will further remind him and he could possibly be in the mind set that "Man if this guy says ANYTHING close ima sell it today!!!" Just my .02...but you have been given some good info here!!!............ :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Check the trans fluid, if it's an automatic. Make sure it's somewhat pink and not black and burnt. Transmissions are expensive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts