LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a show on Saturday, playing with my dro's, and my motor stuck! All the guys in the club are on air, except for me, so I was just playing while they were waiting....anyway...... we all stopped, and all of a sudden my car raised up and the motors wouldn't stop spinning. It was both motors. So I pulled the disconnect and watched the smoke pour from the motors. I waited a while, and hooked it back up. I hit the switch, and everything seems to be working fine now..........can someone tell me what happened?? They are brand new solenoids in the front and new motor on the front................wtf is going on?

·
Registered
369 Posts
the solenoids stuck homie.. they can unlock some times after they lock up.... i know this from experience..but after they lock up once the chances of them lockin up again increases ....

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
maybe your solenoids got stuck, like the homie said, it was probably not grounded properly.

your batteries are low, or there in one battery that is low. check them individually.

:),

cc

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Oct 20 2003, 11:52 AM
anyone notice that when the noids stick and you disconnect the grounds the back feed lets you dump still,,    soo handy to relieve the pressure........
Yeah, first time that happened to me it freaked me out... had no idea what the hell was going on. Played with it for awhile and figured out the windings in the motor were acting like a capacitor, storing just enough voltage for a few licks of the switch.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what can I do??? Ground the solenoids better and then what??? I JUST replaced them the day before the show!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by bumpn_gt@Oct 20 2003, 12:51 PM
So what can I do??? Ground the solenoids better and then what??? I JUST replaced them the day before the show!
The absolute number one killer of solenoids, is low batteries. Buy yourself an electrolyte tester (assuming you arent running gel cells) since thats the best way to measure how charged your batts are. The weaker your batteries get, the lower the voltage they can provide, the higher the amperage the motors will draw and greatly increase the risk of a solenoid welding. As someone else mentioned, a bad ground or loose connection anywhere in the setup can also cause problems.

Also once a solenoid has stuck, replace it. Continuing to use one that has previously welded before, is just asking for trouble. If you have multiple solenoids in series, replace em all. Its alot cheaper than replacing a burnt car.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
same thing happend to me about a hr ago :biggrin:

but mine was my switch :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts