LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm tryin to take a screw out of an old bike fender but its rusted and I'm tryin not to strip the screw, it has no nut its just the screw so what do you guys recommend? I've tried WD-40 but it still won't budge, should I let the WD-40 sit on there a while before trying again or is there something else I can try? :dunno:

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man I will have to try that. Does it ruin plating or paint at all?

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Originally posted by dag65@Aug 6 2003, 10:11 AM
try coke, cheaper and usually works
never heard that before

off topic does coke really works on making silver cleaner? :dunno:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by 66pontiac+Aug 6 2003, 12:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (66pontiac @ Aug 6 2003, 12:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dag65@Aug 6 2003, 10:11 AM
try coke, cheaper and usually works
never heard that before

off topic does coke really works on making silver cleaner? :dunno:[/b][/quote]
Never tried that one before, I know the acid in it is strong enough to eat away rust so it may take away tarnish. Imagine what its doing to your insides??

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by BigLinc@Aug 6 2003, 05:33 PM
WD-40 isnt worth a damn

goto autozone and get some "rust eater" or a can of PB blaster, both work great on rested parts
What does the PB Blaster do? They were out of the rust eater at Autozone but they had the PB Blaster stuff but I didn't get it because I wasn't sure if that'w what I needed. It looks like its for rust but for loosening bolts. Have you used it? Does it work good? It showed like how it can disolve a styrofoam cup, that's all great but I dont need any styrofoam disolved , I need a screw loosened :uh: So I didn't really get what that styrofoam example is supposed to relate to rust.:dunno:

S

·
0 Posts
i say use some wd 40. if thats all you have jus spray it on and leave it soak down over night. i get a bolt of my rusted frame the other day, it was me and my dad and we couldnt get it off.and my dads a sheet metal worker so he was gonna bring home a torch the next day. so i jus sprayed a bunch of wd 40 on and let it soak over night and yesterday it lossened up and came off.

and you cant say it doesn work because i could even see the marks from how far the wd 40 soaked into the screw.

i say if you dont have anything else go w the wd 40 it wont hurt.

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Silent Bob@Aug 7 2003, 09:18 PM
i say use some wd 40. if thats all you have jus spray it on and leave it soak down over night. i get a bolt of my rusted frame the other day, it was me and my dad and we couldnt get it off.and my dads a sheet metal worker so he was gonna bring home a torch the next day. so i jus sprayed a bunch of wd 40 on and let it soak over night and yesterday it lossened up and came off.

and you cant say it doesn work because i could even see the marks from how far the wd 40 soaked into the screw.

i say if you dont have anything else go w the wd 40 it wont hurt.
Naw I tried the WD-40 and letting it sit overnight and that didn't help. I think I'm going to try the PB stuff I just gotta make sure I dont have any styrofoam around or else it'll melt that shyt :roflmao: I dont know why they're so proud of their product melting a damn styrofoam cup but ok whatever. I think that stuff will probably be better than the rust eater since its supposed to be good at rusted bolts instead of just eating rust like the rust eater that's probably better for getting rust off of fixed surfaces.

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PB Blaster isn't working either guys. How long do you let that sit? I let it sit for 20 minutes, tried and it didn't work. I let it sit overnight so hopefully when I go home it'll have worked in there

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i have this tool im not sure what its called but when i got my golf cart all my screws were rusted over so you put it in the screw and hit the end of it with a hammer and it takes out enough crap to turn it ill try and see what that tool is called it is really handy to use when workin with old stuff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts