LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........from re-wiring my airbag electrical system back together correctly !!! I am desperately trying to get my ride back together since having a gang of unrelated electrical gremlins and while analyzing everything I realized that I have had this set-up in my car for 4 years now and the dumbasses I paid(won't mention the shops name)to install the airbags originally left out a few important things like.................IN-LINE FUSES(3 to be exact),A SECOND RELAY and some crazy wiring job through my switchbox and to the pressure switch wires.

As you can see in this photo,I do not have 2 prongs(one + and the other one -) coming out of the end of the pressure switch, but instead a seperate = purple, blue and red wire.The red wire had been cut off and the purple wire was grounded while the blue wire ran to #85 on the relay and another wire coming from the toggle switch that had been added to my box had been conected to #86 on the relay.The other contact on the toggle switch is the one going to a 12 volt source.

Long story short....I have wired the 2 Viar 450 compressors seperatly with their own relay and 30 amp in-line fuse as well as a seperate 15 amp one for the power going to the switchbox.I also bought a battery with a little bit higher amount of cold-cranking amps...........bot not SO HIGH that it will fry my alternator,points,voltage regulator,etc.

Again.........the only thing left to dois hook up the pressure switch wires to each of the relays and nowhere can I find any info about identifying the positive and negative based on wire colors.......only images of two prongs coming out it.And in addition...there was a third wire that they cut which was red and we ALL know that red is USUALLY used to identify a power/positive based wire......!!!!!!!

Please give me some feedback on this gentlemen so I can cruise the streets-once again !!!

ETERNALLY GRATEFUL

:biggrin: MS :biggrin:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
A pressure switch does not have a positive and ground, per se..

All is does is open and close a set of internal contacts to make the compressors turn on.

The way you explained it, it sounds like they are using the contacts to complete the ground circuit for the relay coil. The +12 for the relay coil is coming from your toggle switch. Thats actually a very good way to do it since it gives you basically 2 safeties.

When you reconnect everything you can leave it like that. then run a lead from your battery to terminal 30 of the relay, and the from the compressor to terminal 87. If you do it like that, whenever your toggle is in the on position, and the pressure switch is made (low pressure), your compressors will run.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Also, you may want to give each compressor it's own relay and fuse. And the one going to the switchbox could be a lower value, as the valves and relays pulling in dont draw much amperage, you could get away with a 5 I bet and be a little more protected.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
well hell why not. I didnt add any fuses though, but thought a visual reference might be helpful.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BIG THANKS to Tuna Sammich for taking the time to respond to my S.O.S. !!!!!
I figured it was something like that, but the previous installers had done SO MANY things incorrectly originally.......I didn't want to take anymore chances !!!!!

EXTREMELY GRATEFUL

MS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts