LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*August 2003 Lowrider Magazine.
*Sound System Spotlight pg.146

A 2000 GMC Denali that has 4 12in' Kicker L7's. The article says they put saltwater in the subbox. Has anyone done this, and if so, how does it affect woofer performance? (Would be like putting polyfill in there?) Maybe a couple fish would enhance the effect ;)

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know of any link yet. It is in the brand new Lowrider Magazine, (if you don't believe me check for yourself). Here is the exact wording as is in the article...."..Four 12-inch Kicker L7 subwoofers played from a sealed enclosure made of Plexiglas. The box was mounted to the floor at the very rear of the vehicle. The massive enclosure measured 48-inches across by 34-inches wide and was filled with saltwater." That is the exact wording. Also i don't think Plexiglas will rust, but thats not to say the basket won't rust unless maybe it was covered with a protective of something.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
it says "the massive enclosure measured 48-inches across by 34-inches wide and was filled with salt water" maybe they filled the part were to cones are facing with the water so the magnets are in air but i dunno cant really tell by the pic

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I would assume that there was a separate compartment that had saltwater in it.....must have had tropical fish in it.

Kinda like back in the day there was a guy....I think they called him fishman riviera or something like that. He had fish in his doors.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yea, I saw a car a few weeks ago at a car show with the same thing. There is a separate clear enclosure that separates the water and shit from the actual subs and box. its for looks and thats about it. it looks pretty fuckin cool if u ask me.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I would say that the water is seperated from the speaker. Salt watter would corrode the terminals, voice coil, and anything else that isn't covered in rubber/thick paint.

Back in 99 when I went to competitions, I saw an Isuzu with a big ass plexi box. It had water in it, but the 4 subs were seperated from the water with plexiglass. The neon lights made it really nice looking.

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Acrophobia2587@Sep 10 2003, 08:49 PM
they probably were bullshittin with u
bullshitting with me?? i read the shit in LOWRIDER MAGAZINE!! it wasnt some punk ass bragging on his shit

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd+Sep 10 2003, 08:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ofaknd @ Sep 10 2003, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Acrophobia2587@Sep 10 2003, 08:49 PM
they probably were bullshittin with u
bullshitting with me?? i read the shit in LOWRIDER MAGAZINE!! it wasnt some punk ass bragging on his shit[/b][/quote]
yea bitch

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've seem it done here in AUS and I think they use the water to adjust the resonant frequency ( changing the volume of air inside ) of the sub by addin or drainin water .. maybee they use slat water cause it's more dense .

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Jun 24 2003, 05:12 PM
*August 2003 Lowrider Magazine.
*Sound System Spotlight pg.146

A 2000 GMC Denali that has 4 12in' Kicker L7's. The article says they put saltwater in the subbox. Has anyone done this, and if so, how does it affect woofer performance? (Would be like putting polyfill in there?) Maybe a couple fish would enhance the effect ;)
[snapback]815508[/snapback]​

ttt for a weird topic. Anyone get to the bottom of this>? Was it just for looks?

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by S10laynframe@Jun 20 2005, 09:04 PM
ttt for a weird topic. Anyone get to the bottom of this>? Was it just for looks?
[snapback]3299651[/snapback]​
im' sure it was....i still remember reading this shit in LRM sound system spotlight. :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts