LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey pepoz. I just got a sandblasting cabnet and a powder coater for christmas. I just have a few questions. What grit glass beads is best for sandblasting, and cleaning? I have 80 grit is that alright right before powdercoating or will there be little scratches from the 80 grit? Whats the best grit glass beads to use right before powder coating? What is the realest chrome looking powder coat and where do I get it at? Do they have real looking gold powder coating out there? Do I have to put clear over the chrome, or gold powder coating? Also where do I get kandy powder coating. This is my first time powdercoating and sandblasting any tips and tricks yall can tell me? Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I sandblast everything I powder coat,

its been my experience that if the thickness is correct, the surface smoothness doesnt really come into play...

I even tried a piece of polished aluminum, and a piece that was blasted, they looked identical after baking.

·
Registered
998 Posts
where do you get powder coating equipment? i work at a sandblasting place.. but i'm curious as where to get powdercoating shit..

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my setup at harbor freight. Sandblasting cabnet and powder coater. Anyone know where to get realistic chrome, gold, and kandy powder coating please post it up. Thanks bigdan :biggrin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hey what about bolt threads and stuff like that is there anything to be worried about when blasting them. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sandblaster was I think about 150 bucks the powdercoater from chicago electric was 50 and the glass beads were about 5 bucks I think for a 20 pound box . The powder coater is a pretty big one they have all different sizes.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn i wish I woulda saved to the link of this one place. The other day it had all the kandy powdercoatings and chrome powder coating and everything. Do yall have some links that sell kandy and chrome powdercoating?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** Dans got it right.. The surface should be as smooth as you can get it..... There is a difference between say -a smoothed out intake vs. a rough Cast part....... A powdercoated piece that is sandblasted most likely WONT show much difference when it comes to a blasted one --- Unless you use a really aggressive media.............. Im talking about the really ruff shit anyways...... Have fun with it man... The kandys are a trick to learn...... They act just like the paint.... ;)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The stuff i use is almost chrome and you have to put something over top of it like a clear color kandy powder or a clear. Like Dan said it shouldn't matter with the blasting (especially glass bead) as long as you use a thick enough layer of powder it will look like glass. Just experiment with temps. and how long you leave it in. It takes time just like anything else.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
eastwood company

1 - 13 of 13 Posts