LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be purchasing a sand blaster to remove the rust and whatever else on my '62 Cadillac. To assure I do this right, I have a few questions.

1. I read that sandblasting the body can be risky since it may warp the metal due to the head produced from blasting. What is safe to sandblast without and risks and what should I be careful on?

2. What should I look for in selecting a sandblaster?

3. Can a cabinet style sandblaster also be used in the open?

4. What is the preferred media to use for certain applications?

Thx a lot in advance for any info provided.

Last edited by kaddylowrider at Aug 7 2003, 05:39 PM

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
if your car is straight DO NOT sandblast it. if its rusty, then some sand isnt going to do much more harm. get the car on a body stand and see if you can find someone to give it an acid bath. id take it down to the metal with air craft stripper and do the frame and belly with a pressure washer, RENT A BIG ONE that uses both diesel and regular gasoline.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
:biggrin:

Last edited by OrangeCounty58 at Aug 7 2003, 06:54 PM

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the info :biggrin: I'll strip it and see how bad it is underneath the paint. I may just purchase a cabinet sandblaster for everything else. Thx again.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Originally posted by kaddylowrider@Aug 8 2003, 05:43 PM
Thx for the info :biggrin: I'll strip it and see how bad it is underneath the paint. I may just purchase a cabinet sandblaster for everything else. Thx again.
those sandblasters are good to do headers. a-arms, smaller parts, before they go to a chrome shop. the after market metal they make for older impalas and a lot of classic rides is very thin. if a car has some of the newer replacement parts, it will warp rather easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts