LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

sanding down a body..

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  joe206 
#1 ·
im looking at this early 80s coupe deville for a project car... but i need to show my parents i kind of understand some stuff before i buy it.

the exterior-body and windows- are just covered in sap and pitch. is there a way to scrape it off the windows so i dont need to buy all new ones?

the body though is really bad with the pitch. and its a white car to begin with. so i was wondering what do i need to do and have for equipment to sand the whole body? because that would work to get rid of all the crappy paint right?

G
#2 ·
My suggestion would be a sand blaster. I think you cn buy them or rent them at a hardware store but i could be wrong. But a sand blaster should give u a nice sand dunno

but dont take my adive cause i could be wrong i really dont know alot bout this stuff

#4 ·
yes DO NOT use a sandblaster.........

if you don't want to sand the car down...take it and get it MEDIA BLASTED this is a process involving little plastic balls.........

i would suggest you take some pics. and post them up in here so we can help you more.......it is really hard to give you an answer without seeing the problem...........

#6 ·
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Sep 16 2003, 11:38 AM
yes DO NOT use a sandblaster.........

if you don't want to sand the car down...take it and get it MEDIA BLASTED this is a process involving little plastic balls.........

i would suggest you take some pics. and post them up in here so we can help you more.......it is really hard to give you an answer without seeing the problem...........
yea i stopped by it today... no one was home, no number either.

first i have to find out if it runs/starts or not. but i can post pics in a few days.

but its just covered in sap and pitch. i dont know how else to get it off, cause i know it sticks to your car and stains the paint. but wouldnt if anyone for any reason wanted to get rid of the paint on the car they would sand it down?

#9 ·
i know if it was my car i would have it media blasted...it saves time and work alot of it.........or just strip the paint

if that sap has been sitting on there for years it WILL be a bitch to get off........you will go through alot of sandpaper because it will clogs the paper easier.........

again i say it's hard to say without a pic.

also what are you planning on doing to it........like for show or street.......

candy or a basic paintjob????

either way i would strip it tree sap is not good :biggrin:

#11 ·
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Sep 17 2003, 02:40 PM
i know if it was my car i would have it media blasted...it saves time and work alot of it.........or just strip the paint

if that sap has been sitting on there for years it WILL be a bitch to get off........you will go through alot of sandpaper because it will clogs the paper easier.........

again i say it's hard to say without a pic.

also what are you planning on doing to it........like for show or street.......

candy or a basic paintjob????

either way i would strip it tree sap is not good :biggrin:
well the main thing is i dont hvae this car yet. no one is around to talk about it. so im not sure if it even runs yet...

but the expection sticker is from 8- 2002. so its been sitting from sometime between october of 2001 and 2002. and been pretty much under this tree and its just covered.

i might be able to get some pics today cause i might roll by it and see it again.

if i did get it i would go street. and im alsmost certain i wouldnt do candy since this is my frist project car and ive never painted with regular.

#12 ·
** I would say "NO" to all sand or any media blasters unless you plan to take the car all the way down to the bone.... These just cause problems during painting .... We used to use a soda blaster (for the GM factory paint recalls) but no matter how good we sprayed it down & prepped the car , we always had a small case of media making its way onto the paint........ Get yourself a D/A sander or a Dewalt random orbital sander if you dont have an air compressor on hand.... The random orbital sander acts like a D/A & costs anywhere from $30 - $60.... Hit the car up with a good cleaner that removes tree sap -- "GOOF OFF" makes some good stuff for ya ( By at hardware stores $10 ) .Wax & degreased the entire car ($12-auto parts store). Then do you car with 80-100 grit sandpaper to cut thru fast , Do your body work/fix the dings & rust spots, Hit it up with 220 grit after that ... Then spray 3-4 coats of good 2-K primer & wet sand it down with 600 grit sandpaper ..... You should be set to paint afterwards...... ;)

#14 ·
just as a test.. spray a little corner with that goo gone shit that you can buy at walmart..

let it sit for a moment and scrub/wipe away

see whats left or if it took anything off..

i havent read any above posts, but do you think or can you tell if theres a clear coat still intact?

#15 ·
Originally posted by Torx@Sep 18 2003, 02:02 PM
just as a test.. spray a little corner with that goo gone shit that you can buy at walmart..

let it sit for a moment and scrub/wipe away

see whats left or if it took anything off..

i havent read any above posts, but do you think or can you tell if theres a clear coat still intact?
well i would do that, but im interested in buying it.. i dont own it yet.

i want to see what work and things i need to get to work on the car first.

#16 ·
you said no ones around...they arent gonna get mad at you for cleaning a portion of thier car..

#17 ·
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Sep 18 2003, 04:03 PM
you said no ones around...they arent gonna get mad at you for cleaning a portion of thier car..
you do have a point....... :)

but if its got the 4100, or if it doesnt start/run/drive then im not wasting my time- so id like to find that out first

#21 ·
ok here is what we would do at my work for a car like yours..first soak the car and wash it real good with lots of soap...second get the car wet and this time with a mixture of bleachwhite and water..diluted bleachwhite..wash the car real good with that it will help take of stains real good...then for all the sap we would use solvent...so try some of those things and i bet it will make a big difference..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.