LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get my speedometer replated but I noticed the face of the speedometer has 7 little tabs that keep it on. I took one apart just to see all the pieces. I am wondering if anyone has ever had one replated and if the little tabs are a pain in the ass to bend back. Does the chrome get fucked up? I appriciate any helpanyone can give. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
before you take them in for plating, grind off the tabs (i guess you could have them do it too) and smooth it down. When you reassemble it, use shoe goo or j.b. weld to secure it. It's just a trim ring so it doesn't have to hold much weight.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
NO!!!!
DO NOT DO THAT!!!!
they bend flat, then when you get it back you can use a punch to bend them back flat, once again DO NOT GRIND THEM OFF!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
the chrome can chip off. I've seen it happen. But, of course, if you want to build an ORIGINAL bike you'll have to take your chances.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have a custom bike and have built many, trust me do not grind them off, the chrome miht crack a little at the bend but you can not see it, i have done over 5 of these like this and i just took another one apart 2 days ago to be chromed

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
it looks just like the speedo you have but show chrome!!! lol sorry i dont have any close up pics of my speedo, but i know it is well worth taking the time and doing it with the tabs. good luck with it, which ever way you do it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have an original schwinn spedometer im thinking of selling. Give me some reasonable offers and i might let it go. i have pics. just pm me your e-mail addy.
-sorry for ruining your topic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts